New Headsail recommendation

Previous topic - Next topic

Joyride

Hey Gang I know there are a lot of threads on this already but I'm seeking more advice anyway. 

I need a new headsail and I'm not sure what size to go with.  I sail mostly in light winds in SW FL but also do some offshore stuff (Cuba, Key West) maybe head for Isla Mujeres next year so I'd like something I can carry roller reefed when the wind picks up to 30. 

We don't do much racing so I was thinking a 135 would be the way to go.  My 150 I think was kind of blown out when I got the boat and I could never get a good shape if reefed and didn't like to point all that well in light wind. 

Any thoughts?  I use the boat almost weekly on day sails so looking for something durable and it'll stay on the furler all the time. 

1991 C34 Wing Keel Std Rig
1991 Catalina 34 (mk 1.5) Universal M35 Wing Keel

Paulus

Joyride,
I went with a 150 Genoa, with ropeluff reefing with furling patches. 
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

glennd3

Do you get much weather helm when the wind picks up now with your 150? I believe you may if you have the original rudder and a wing keel. If you have the new elliptical rudder that could play in the decision on which sail to get.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Ron Hill

Joy : I stuck with a 150, but I modified my wing keel rudder into the elliptical design.  My sailmaker recommended a bi-radial cut with   laminated sail cloth and foam luff. 
I was pleased and it did well reefed!  I also had Garhauer's movable genoa track system.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Steve_in_lex

I don't have enough different headsail experience to comment on the size, but I second Ron Hill's comment about a foam luff.  I recently had one added to our 135 and it really improves the shape when roller reefing.
Steve Saudek
2005 C-34 MK II
"Brisa"

Stu Jackson

If you've read this:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,7704.0.html  then unless there was something specific you may want to ask about that wasn't covered in that thread, I'm not sure what more could be added to the basic concept.

Good luck, happy choice-making.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Joyride

Thanks for the link Stu. That made for an interesting read and there is lots to ponder there for sure.  I'm thinking now the 135 or smaller might be just fine. 
1991 Catalina 34 (mk 1.5) Universal M35 Wing Keel

Roc

You may also want to consider the choice based on your rig, whether you have a standard or tall.  I have a tall rig with a 135 genoa.  That combination seems to work well on the Chesapeake.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD