Relocating the Heat Exchanger (?)

Previous topic - Next topic

WTunnessen

Curious if anyone has ever relocated the Heat Exchanger off the engine in order to improve access to the transmission dip stick?

In the most recent issue of Mainsheet there is an article from a C355er describing relocating the heat exchanger which made wonder if anyone has consider doing it on a C34?  And what the pros/ cons are/might be?

Gaulois #579 C34 Tall Rig - CYC West River, MD

glennd3

Do you have the new HX with the new brackets and clamps?
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

KWKloeber

Quote from: WTunnessen on May 02, 2019, 01:12:55 PM
Curious if anyone has ever relocated the Heat Exchanger off the engine in order to improve access to the transmission dip stick?

In the most recent issue of Mainsheet there is an article from a C355er describing relocating the heat exchanger which made wonder if anyone has consider doing it on a C34?  And what the pros/ cons are/might be?

There's no inherent reason a Hx can't be relocated. I believe Noah did.
Which engine do you have?  Do you have a pic showing the tranny and Hx?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jon W

A PO moved my 3" heat exchanger and bracket off the engine and attached to the underside of the fiberglass surface the mattress sits on in the aft berth. Photo attached.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Noah

Yes, I moved mine off the engine for that reason. I used a flat plate aluminum bracket I had made which is through-bolted onto the vertical bulkhead behind/above the engine, with the bolt heads/finishing washers hidden by the edge of the aft bunk mattress. I will try and post some photos in a day or so. Unfortunately, I cracked my iPhone screen today.  :cry4` It was in my back pocket and I apparently ground it into the genoa track while laying on my back taping the fixed ports prepping for bedding.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Patches

That is certainly one way to improve access to the transmission dipstick.  I went a different way, which was to cut an access panel in the vertical bulkhead in the aft cabin.  Found a perfect size Jim Black flush mounting panel at Great Lakes skipper. for about $90.  Cut the hole, which was easy, and mounted the frame.  The door has 6 flush mount latches which allow it to be removed completely for access.

It has made a HUGE difference in doing anything on the back of the engine:  Changing the zinc on the heat exchanger, changing the transmission fluid, checking transmission fluid,  etc..  Most importantly it made all the difference in removing the original exhaust riser and flange, and replacing with new.  I ended up buying a new heat exchanger and installing that was simple with the new access hatch. I can't imagine trying to line that up from above, given that the new ones have "fork" style mounting flanges which require a lot of mini adjustments to get just right before tightening everything down.

Just something to consider.

Patches

britinusa

Regarding changing the zinc when the HX is on the engine.

I lean over the top of the engine to replace the zinc on my M25XP on my C34Mk1.

It only takes a few minutes.

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

KWKloeber

Here's Noah's solution:
http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,9512.msg71759.html#msg71759

Regarding access to the dip stick, are we taking "access" or being able to lift the stick up past Hx? (like w/ an upgraded 2" -> 3" Hx)?

About the new brackets, understand that there is a different bell housing, mounting location/type, and bracket for each engine (M25 XP, XPB, 35, 35B.)  There are (at my count) 7 different BHs and 7 different brackets, so one really needs to know which engine we're talking about to make sense of the brackets.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain