V-berth storage

Previous topic - Next topic

Set2sea

In an effort to gain some more storage, I was looking around the v-birth and noticed that the area just forward of the hanging locker, below v-birth, would be a nice spot to maybe partition off from the rest of the v-birth area and either add a door on the front wall or cut a hatch hole. I like the "hatch hole" idea. It would be very similar to the storage area under the forward end of the dinette settee. That area is the extra beer hold. Thinking this new area could be a good tool locker.
Has anybody done this? I saw one post that said to put a door in the front, leave it non-partitioned and it is good for fishing poles or other long items. I may do that on the port side as that area is smaller due to the offset in the door into v-birth.
If I go the hatch board idea, is the plywood with that nice facing material that Catalina used for settee access boards commonly available? What is it called? That stuff stands up to water very nicely!
Paul Barrett
S/V BuddyB
Salem, ma

Ron Hill

Paul : There have been a number of Vberth storage ideas in the Mainsheet tech notes.  One foot square teak hatch doors on either side, a rectangle hatch in the center near the flooring and I installed a second "level" shelf above the OEM shelf at the bow end of the Vberth.

A few thoughts

Ron, Apache #788

Patches

Storage really is the Achilles heal of our wonderful boats.

I thought about doing the same, and decided on doors on the vertical surfaces on either side of the V-berth--above where the filler piece rests when not in place.  I found the Teak Isle (12 X 12) "drop in door" at Great Lakes Skipper, GLS Stock #: 7200354-5H294, and bought some twist latches on Amazon to secure them.  Cut the openings using a multi-tool and put them in using 4000 adhesive.  (sorry no photos)  I wanted doors I could remove completely for access, because anything with a hinge tends to reduce the opening size and/or require a certain swing radius, and complicates getting things in and out easily.  I have seen from photos that some owners have used a teak 12 X 12 louvered door in this area--similar to the one for the waste bin in the galley-- and these seem to be readily available online. Again, I didn't want a hinged door.

I also thought about using hatches under the V-berth cushions at the aft end (near the drawers and hanging locker) with integral bins under.  Because the port side space underneath is much smaller than the starboard side, and the taper of the hull side, I decided against this.

Patches

KWKloeber

I know your vee is different but maybe these will provide some similar ideas that might work for yours?

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Set2sea

Paul Barrett
S/V BuddyB
Salem, ma

Set2sea

Quote from: Ron Hill on April 16, 2019, 02:16:14 PM
Paul : There have been a number of Vberth storage ideas in the Mainsheet tech notes.  One foot square teak hatch doors on either side, a rectangle hatch in the center near the flooring and I installed a second "level" shelf above the OEM shelf at the bow end of the Vberth.

A few thoughts

Thank guys. Ron, I reviewed the v-birth posts you referred to. I was thinking more of cutting a hole in the top surface, under cushion on starboard side. I want to store bulky items, maybe tools. I would rather pull things like that out from the top rather than reach in from the front. I think I would be able to load it up more as well.
I do have a concern that I will have a weak point as my new cutout will come somewhat close to the large existing cutout. I will have to stiffen that with my partition. I will also need to have a rabbited edge for a new hatch board to be flush. This is obviously more work than cutting a door in the vertical surface. If this hasn't been done yet, maybe I will document and post.
Paul Barrett
S/V BuddyB
Salem, ma

Noah

Instead of a rabbit you could build a flange/frame underneath to support a new top cutout.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Set2sea on April 17, 2019, 10:14:09 AM
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
If this hasn't been done yet, maybe I will document and post.

Paul,

I think the reason it hasn't been done yet (and I don't recall EVER seeing it) is that folks often have their berths made up and don't want to lift the cushions or mattress.

While I used to have a "fancy" set of sheets and a nice comforter back when Cory was able to sail with me, I now have an extra large piece of 3" foam over the cushions athwartship with my sleeping bag on top.  Yes, I sleep sideways, it's way wide enough.  It's simply a PITA to lift it up to get underneath.  I still have plenty of space remaining under there for good reason: EASY access or lack thereof.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

I agree with Stu on PIA to lift and get under. I also have Hypervent fiber material under cushions (which works well prevent moisture/condensation) but it makes it even more inconvenient and scratchy to lift and store stuff underneath. Consequently,  I use the under bunk areas to store stuff I don't need to get to very often. I still may add some 12x12 front door faces/cutouts with some storage bins bags into space walled off to access from front.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jon W

I don't see what year boat you have. In my 1987 I built tool storage in the aft cabin. Access is through the small wood hatch under the mattress. I glassed in bulkheads to make a separate compartment. Works great holds a lot and easy to get into. There's a project write up with photos in the Tech WIKI if interested. Easiest to find by going to the Boat/Authors section then Della Jean.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca