Join the C34 Association Today!
[C34 Home] [C34Tech Notes] [C34 Tech Wiki] [Join!]
Please login or register.
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tightening alternator belt: M35B with standard 50A alternator  (Read 209 times)

Breakin Away

• Forum - Petty Officer 1st Class
    • View Profile

Hi all, I think my belt needs tightening. I don't hear any squealing and don't see excessive rubber dust, but I do smell a faint burning rubber. IIRC, my alternator measured 144F when running at crusing speed, but everything around it was around 160F, so I don't think it's excessive. (Tell me if it was.) I did see a little in-out vibration of the belt in the long run from crankcase to alternator.

I see a lot written about tightening the belts for the smaller (older) motors, but not the M35B. From what I can tell, the alternator is in a very nice position to loosen the top bolt and pull it outward. Is it that simple? Is there another bolt that's the pivot point? Does it need to be loosened, and is it hard to access.

I'd appreciate any advice from someone who has done this on the M35B. I have the standard 50A alternator, not the big 100A upgrade.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 06:08:21 PM by Breakin Away »

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Jim Hardesty

• Forum - Master Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
Re: Tightening alternator belt: M35B with standard 50A alternator
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 05:53:56 AM »

From what I can tell, the alternator is in a very nice position to loosen the top bolt and pull it outward. Is it that simple? Is there another bolt that's the pivot point? Does it need to be loosened, and is it hard to access.

Yes, there is a pivot bolt that needs to be loosened. It's in an attachment on the engine block.  All straight forward but access to the rear is a pain.  I loosen my belt at winter storage and readjust in the spring.  Think it keeps the belt from taking a set.
I take a very good look at the belt when changing the raw water impeller.  If my memory is correct the belt is behind the hoses and the hoses need to be removed to change the belt.  Not something I want to do in a rush.  So for the small cost of a belt, I change at any signs of age/wear.
Jim

Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

KWKloeber

• Forum - Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy
  • "Positive Impact" 1984 C-30 #3573 trbsfk M-25
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 12:46:56 PM »

See pg 21 of the 25b/35b Ops Manual.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 02:10:07 PM »

Breaking : Your alternator is on top of the pivot point, so just push down on the alternator case to the correct tension and then tighten that pivot bolt.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Jon W

• Administrator
  • Forum - Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 04:40:53 PM »

FYI- To check for proper belt tension after changing belts, I bought a belt tension gauge for ribbed v-belts from NAPA auto parts. There’s others brands available online as well.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, Manson Supreme 35
San Diego, Ca

KWKloeber

• "Positive Impact" 1984 C-30 #3573 trbsfk M-25
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 04:56:07 PM »

See pg 21 of the 25b/35b Ops Manual.

PS:  suggest you change to a Dayco “Top Cog” model belt if you’re not currently using that one.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain
Pages: [1]   Go Up