CE Category of C34 MK1

Previous topic - Next topic

senorquill

What is the CE category for 1987 Catalina 34?  I'm tracking that the MK2 is a CE Cat "A".  Thanks
MQ

glennd3

Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

senorquill

Okay, so CE "A"

CE CLASS A yachts are designed for large sea voyages (everywhere), in which wind force may exceed 8 on the scale of BEAUFORT and waves can aIso exceed a significant height of 4 meters. These yachts are designed largely to be self-sufficient in this rather hostile environment. CAREFUL, in most cases, this is only theoretical.

CE CLASS B yachts are designed to travel off the coast (200 miles or less) in which the winds can be up to force 8 (not exceeding) and waves can reach a height up to 4 meters (not exceeding).

CE CLASS C boats are designed for travel close to the coasts and in large bays, estuaries, lakes and rivers in which winds can be up to force 6 (not exceeding) and waves may reach a height of 2 meters (not exceeding).

CE CLASS D boats are designed for cruises in protected waters, like small lakes, rivers and canals in which the winds can be up to force 4 and waves can reach a height up to 0.30 meter (less than 1 foot).
MQ

Ron Hill

MQ : I heard Gerry Douglas and Frank Butler say many times that "Catalina Yachts are 'Coastal Cruisers' !"

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

senorquill

So Class B?  I'm sailing from Port Charlotte FL to Destin FL, so there is a 200-mile Gulf crossing from Clearwater to Destin.  I know people do this in the C34, just looking for peace of mind on what the C34 was actually certified as.
MQ

Noah

Lot's of C34 MKI boats have made extensive offshore and trans ocean passages. It is not my ideal bluewater cruiser, but hull is plenty strong. My take is comfort/safety will depend on what systems you add/modify and ultimately, your seamanship.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

senorquill

MQ