Working on fuel line on M-25XP

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisW

I need to replace a hose in the fuel line of my Universal M-25XP.  The hose I am replacing is in the fuel return line right where it is connected to the injectors. It's a small hose about 3 1/2 inches long. From the manual, it looks like the connector between this small hose and the larger one should be mounted in a bracket.  Mine is not mounted in that bracket and I am not exactly sure how it is supposed to be mounted. Is there anything that I should be aware of before I start?

I figure I should close the valve to the fuel line at the tank. I thought it might also be a good idea to run the engine afterwards until it stops to reduce the amount of fuel in the line.  Is that a good idea?  And is it necessary to do before removing the old fuel line hose?  I ask that because I don't have the starter hooked up right now.

Also, I understand that I will need to bleed the fuel system afterwards.  From the instructions in the manual there are two places that I need to bleed. I located the one on the injector pump, but am unsure about the one on the fuel filter.  When they mention the fuel filter, does that refer to the Racor filter that is seperate from the engine?  Because I do not see anything that looks like a bleed valve where the engine diagram indicates the fuel filter should be.

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Chris

OEM there's a bracket between the injection hose and the return hose. It's just a means to mount an adapter and to keep tension off the hose barb connections. See pic 1. Not absolutely necessary as long as you have the return hose zip tied or held so that it doesn't pull on the fittings.  Think "wire terminals."

Just pinch off the return hose (y'all's tank is higher than the engine correct?) You might get some dribbles to catch. Nothing serious. It's on the other side of the injection pump so no fuel flow unless the pump (i.e., engine) is operating, and on the return so no need to bleed anything afterward.

My return comes off the front so that's where my bracket lives, but you can see the detail on my zoom in pix. My adapter (reducer? increasor?) was crap quality and disintegrated so I fashioned one using male and female thread hose barbs thru the bracket.

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

ChrisW

I hope this photo went through.

ChrisW

Quote from: KWKloeber on April 06, 2019, 01:18:25 PM
Chris

OEM there's a bracket between the injection hose and the return hose. It's just a means to mount an adapter and to keep tension off the hose barb connections. See pic 1. Not absolutely necessary as long as you have the return hose zip tied or held so that it doesn't pull on the fittings.  Think "wire terminals."

Just pinch off the return hose (y'all's tank is higher than the engine correct?) You might get some dribbles to catch. Nothing serious. It's on the other side of the injection pump so no fuel flow unless the pump (i.e., engine) is operating, and on the return so no need to bleed anything afterward.

My return comes off the front so that's where my bracket lives, but you can see the detail on my zoom in pix. My adapter (reducer? increasor?) was crap quality and disintegrated so I fashioned one using male and female thread hose barbs thru the bracket.

OK that's good to know.  The fuel tank is indeed higher than the engine. What should I pinch the hose off with? A Vise Grip maybe? I don't want to damage it.

KWKloeber

There's your bracket. The original crap adapter the universal used is gone.

Sure vice grip will work. They actually make one for pinching off hoses.
It's rubber man you aren't clamping onto a frozen bolt, just gently close it off.
Of, let's see, I could ....... :donno: .....around the hose to protect it?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

ChrisW

Just want to say thanks.  Hose has been replaced.  I had about a coffee can's worth of fuel come out before I grabbed a better vise to pinch off with. 

Ron Hill

Guys : I use a needle nose vice grips. 
I slid a short piece of hose over each grip and use it to "clamp" off a fuel line!!  Works just fine!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

My XP fuel return line at the injectors looks a bit different. It uses a small diameter braided fuel line/hose about 7 in. long connected to my bleed thumbscrew valveā€”if I have this understood correctly?
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Looking @ the wrong end Noah that's the XP fuel/air bleed hose TO the #1 injector bango, the return to the tank is FROM the #3 injector bango, per the top pic I posted, dead center of pic.

Noah

Standard Rig