Mk1.5 Mast base blocks with rigid vang...

Previous topic - Next topic

waughoo

My mast is down presently as the boat was shipped after i purchased it remotely.  The boat has a rigid vang and id like to route that to the cockpit.  There is a D-Ring just under the bottom mount of the rigid vang.  When i went to view the boat prior to purchase, the rigid vang line was not led aft and the main sheet was led over the vang to the gooseneck and down to the mast base block.  With the rigid vang, the main sheet should not go as it was.  Does anyone with a similar set up have a photo or two showing how the lines for the main and the rigid vang route at the mast base plate?  Im getting close to stepping the mast and want to make sure I have everything i need prior to putting it through the cabin top to the keel.  Thanks in advance.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

KWKloeber

Hey Alex

Bookmark this and get yourself familiar with all that's on the TechWiki site. 
https://c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Catalina_34

If you look under 'Manuals', on that page in the section where I put all the boat owners manuals I believe you'll see in yours a rigging diagram that shows how the main can be routed directly from the fwd bale to the base when there's a vang "in the way."  I mean, you could still run it to the goosey then down, but it gets ugly that way. At least that's the options on the 30 so I imagine they'd be similar on the 34 

-ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

ewengstrom

Hey Alex,
Ohana has one,  I've changed a few things around since these shots were taken, but you can clearly see the routing of the main and vang control lines. The main sheet leads to the starboard cabin top winch, the vang to the port cabintop winch. Looks to me like a P.O. added the triple clutch and maybe the triple turning block, but I have no way to confirm this.  This is my first time using a ridged vang setup, and so far I do like it.
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

ewengstrom

Here's another shot showing the routing of the vang.
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

waughoo

Ken... thanks for the reminder.  I had found that page before and now reviewing it remembered that ive viewed the rigid vang installation photos.  It looks like the vang itself has a turning block attached to the base of its attachment to the mast to allow it to head over to the deck organizer.  The maimsheet then gets routed to the block at the padeye in the mast track right at the deck.  The place i bought the boat from were not sailors but used it for basic sailing instruction.  Thus, MANY things were not correctly set up.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

waughoo

Eric... thanks for the photos.  The one of the port side base of the mast is particularly helpfull.  I'm doing the same adjustments to my traveler and rope clutches.  The boat came with a two fairlead under the traveler, and ive already uograded to the three fairlead.  I still need to change the deck organizers and add the threee position rope clutches.  Im trying to keep focused so i can sail this upcoming season rather than working on the boat :-)  It is hard though.  So many fun projects.  I feel like a dog that has just seen a squirrel.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte