Engine kill pull at helm

Previous topic - Next topic

saltygirl

Good evening again! My husband and I are on the last leg of our journey north up the ICW. We have a 98 34 mkII. The engine kill pull at the helm will not work now. It pulled out further than it normally does and will not fully go back in. We have to manually push the shut off lever on the engine. The cable connection at the engine is good.  Is this a solid cable from the engine to the helm?
Celeste and Greg Ray

glennd3

I am not sure about your cable however usually these types of set ups have some kind of fastener that holds the outer casing of the cable. Try to find it and see if you can re attach it.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

glennd3

Actually look down two threads and look at the picture of the leaking plug. You can see his kill cable and the clamp that holds it to the block with 2 screws.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Stu Jackson

It's most likely a Morse cable, standard on these things.  Usually the cable inside the sheath gets rotten and stops working.  Since you've found a way to turn the engine off at the engine, you have discovered what's missing between Point A and Point B.  Unless you find something else, it's the link between them.  Replace the cable.  It simply requires measuring the distance of the cable you already have and replacing it,  Easier said than done, but that's where you need to go,  Good luck.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."