raymarine st 5000

Previous topic - Next topic

davo

Hi
looking at C34 1993. it has a Yanmar 38hp and appears to be in great shape well maintained. listed at 57 I countered 48 he countered 50. It has a 2011 st 5000. In the posts I've read they say it has a lot of problems. Any thoughts?
Sailing is healing

Jim Hardesty

My 2 cents.  Electronics change/improve so quickly it wouldn't be a deal maker/breaker for me.  If on your survey/test sail check it out and if it doesn't perform use that to negotiate.  Worst thing, you buy an  Raymarine evolution autopilot Think I paid $1100 for mine and was an easy install and a fine improvement over the st400+
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

davo

Sailing is healing

Stu Jackson

davo,

Please understand that my boat has an ancient ST3000!!!

IIRC, the st5000 required a rudder position indicator to make it work properly.  The RPI may, I say MAY, work with the newer ev1000, which also, IIRC does require one, so check the specs out.

If you do have a RPI, and it works with both models, then all you're doing is swapping out the head end unit, and it could be a simple job.

If you don't have an RPI, then you will most likely need to add one, because everything I've read on many boating forums, indicated that the APs just do not work without one.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

mark_53

Quote from: Stu Jackson on April 03, 2019, 08:18:21 PM
davo,

Please understand that my boat has an ancient ST3000!!!

IIRC, the st5000 required a rudder position indicator to make it work properly.  The RPI may, I say MAY, work with the newer ev1000, which also, IIRC does require one, so check the specs out.

The EV100 does NOT require a rudder position sensor.  I know, I have an EV-100 and no rudder position sensor.  Works fine on inland waters for passage making.  I don't integrate with wind instrument.  Under sail, gusts of wind can be problematic but for under power it works fine.

Quote from: Stu Jackson on April 03, 2019, 08:18:21 PM
If you don't have an RPI, then you will most likely need to add one, because everything I've read on many boating forums, indicated that the APs just do not work without one.
It may be recommended but not required.

davo

Hi again,
  I have a maxwell VC 500 windless it works fine on the rope but the chain has to be pulled up by hand. Maxwell doesn't make a conversion kit for it. I don't want to spend the money for a new one and installation (if you can w/o major modification) any ideas
Sailing is healing

Noah

Just wrap the chain around existing drum. It will work. Some have complained using it that way can cause the chrome plating to chip off and make metal shards in the your anchor rode and hands. If that is an issue you can preemptively wire wheel/grind/buff the chrome off of the drum to bare bronze.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig