New West Marine Price Match Policy Restrictions

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Shreeves

FYI:
It seems that WM has recently pulled back their price match policy to only matching brick & mortar locations within 50 miles or an Amazon fulfillment product.  I hear WMs interpretation for the Amazon fulfillment price match is only for products Amazon stocks in their fulfillment centers.   I haven't found anything "official" from WM.  That's what the WM employees told a friend that that recently was denied a price match.  I doubt they'll advertise their new policy.
The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner...

Bill Shreeves
s/v "Begnnings" 1987 Shoal Draft #333
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

Noah

Yeah. A very disappointing change in their policy. Since their change I have managed to get them to price match Amazon prices for Epifanes varnish and Interlux bilgecoat, (both at a significant savings) even though they were from third party sellers on Amazon. However, it took a manager's sign-off and they went to a lot of trouble to compare manufactures' product codes.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Published policy

Says nothing about 50 miles.

Price Match Guarantee
If you find a lower price on an identical product (Brand and Model) at a retail competitor's store or website
within 30 days of purchase, West Marine will match that price. Available sources for price matching
include competitor stores and websites that carry the identical product (Brand and Model) to be price matched.

Bottom line, IIWMB, and WM didn't want to match -- I would politely ask if I could use their phone -- and then ask them for the WM customer service number [800-262-8464] or their regional manager's phone number.

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Noah

Unfortunately, that is their OLD allegedly discontinued policy as of a few weeks ago, at the stores. However it is still on their website—so who knows the legal recourse.
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

It is the PUBLISHED policy.  Until they publish a different one b
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Bill Shreeves

Quote from: KWKloeber on April 02, 2019, 07:21:04 PM
It is the PUBLISHED policy.  Until they publish a different one b

Ken, I'm sure that is at their discretion and they may,regardless of the statement on their website, politely say that your more than welcome to purchase it at the competitor.   I'll return to buying far fewer products from them, because of the ridiculous prices they have for so many products, and go back to my online shopping & purchasing practices.  They'll get me for the stuff I didn't think ahead on.

WM / BoatUS drove out or bought out 75% of the Mom & Pop marine stores years ago providing them with the ability to charge what they please.   Frankly, I was very shocked by the evil empire's price matching policy change when they started and didn't expect it to last. 
The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner...

Bill Shreeves
s/v "Begnnings" 1987 Shoal Draft #333
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

Noah

Lots of angry chatter about this on other boards as well. New CEO in 12/18 (third in last three years) doesn't like price match biz model. Many walk-in folks getting same speech "only match Competitor Stores (?) within 50-mile radius", and very restrictive arbitrary conditions regarding Amazon items. Tough retail world out there that is not always played by the published and nuanced rules. I pine for days, years ago, when I had a legitimate West Marine/Port Supply Pro business account discount—at least then I had a fighting chance, but those days are long gone. :cry4`
Standard Rig

Noah

Well new policy is now on their website:
"Price Match Guarantee
If you find a lower price on an identical product at a local retail store, West Marine will match that price within 30 days of purchase.

We will price match:

Local Stores within 50 miles
Amazon, direct from Amazon only
Sale and regular prices before shipping, handling and/or sales tax charges
Retail prices for wholesale Customers
What do I need to do to get a price matched?
Make sure that the product you are wishing to purchase qualifies for our Price Guarantee.
Visit your local West Marine store, chat with an associate online or call 1-800-BOATING (262-8464) and let a West Marine Associate know you have an item to price match.
Provide the name of the competitor, the item price and the advertisement, store or online location where you saw the price.
The West Marine Associate will confirm the price of the item and that it meets all requirements for our price match guarantee, and match it.
Additional Exclusions:
We guarantee that the price you pay will be the lowest price advertised or posted for an in-store purchase. If the price charged is higher than that price, you will receive the item free if the lowest price is $5.00 or less, or you will receive $5.00 off if the lowest price is greater than $5.00.
There are items that West Marine will not price match; Coupon offers, Refurbished products, open box, damaged goods, auctions, which includes eBay, Amazon Marketplace, financing, deferred interest programs, freight, delivery and installation, in-store services, warranties and PLUS plans, Tax promotions, expired advertisements and ad errors, West Marine Pro prices for retail customers, competitors outside the USA, BOGO, Flash Sales, or Cyber Week Promotions, clearance products and going-out-of-business sales, loyalty promotions, rebates and gift with purchase.
West Marine reserves the right to change one or more of the polices noted above at any time without prior notice and the policy in effect at the time you either return the product for refund or request a price match will apply.
Online—Your Shopping Cart
Items in your Shopping Cart reflect the current price displayed on the item's product details page. This price may differ from the price displayed when the item was first placed in your Shopping Cart.

West Marine reserves the right to update or modify the terms of this policy at any time. Last updated March 1, 2019.
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

WELL, that didn't take long. Is WM trolling the C34 forum?

I don't understand how this works --

chat with an associate online

You chat with a rep, give them a brick/mortar store price (say Hamilton Marine?)  Is there a brick and mortar that doesn't typically have a MW within 50 miles?

So what does the chatter say?
"Yes Hamilton Marine Portland has it for $10 and if you were in our Portland store you can buy it for $10, but not at our Buffalo store?  You pay our normal low price of $300.  Huh? WTF?

So w/ Amazon, I guess make sure you don't use a Prime Membership price that is higher w/ shipping?