Wire Harness Upgrade and memos

Previous topic - Next topic

Sdsailor

Hello C34 owners,  i wanted to share my completed photos of the wire harness upgrade following Dave Millers post on this site.

I chose to build a new harness.attached are hopefully 4 low quality pics to meet the upload limits.

All went according to procedure except for two steps.

#1 The omission/rerouting of the alternator wire to the starter also omits the 12V to the engine panel. So, as most of you know, just adding a 10g wire from the +12v connected to the starter to the terminal strip was the answer.

#2 Just replacing the ammeter for the voltmeter is simple enough since the orange charge wire was now gone but you must move the +12v that supplies the voltmeter, to the other side of the ignition switch, otherwise the meter will read constant battery voltage from the selector switch.

no big deal , and I'm sure someone will say i didn't click, sort, or scroll enough to unearth the last details, but I'm glad its done and I feel good about it.

one other small note, the voltmeter has a post with a red cover on it. Do not remove the cap, nothing connects to it.

hope someone finds this interesting, inspiring and easy.

thank you, Dan[/font][/font][/size][/color]

mark_53

Nice work.  Looks like the harness is much shorter than OEM.  Mine seems like it has an extra 10' coiled below the cockpit.  What year boat and type engine? Are you building extras?  I would request heat shrink on the connectors though.

Sdsailor

Thanks Mark53.
I made it 14ft long so I could coil a 1ft at each end for workability. But I still have about 3 feet length extra. I have the clear heat shrink But forgot to use it. Doh! No big deal to add it when I add the labels. I need a laser jet to print them along with a corrected  schematic for the owners manual and a vinyl decal  to stick in the engine compartment.  Thanks for the kind words!

Sdsailor

Also I have a mk1 1987 with universal M-25XB, Hull 504.
. I wouldn't mind building a harness for anyone who requested it. (With labels and heat shrink, of course)

Harness Parts cost ~ $5 per foot.
Ammeter cost ~ $30
Labor 2 hours

Catalina Direct sells a 16' harness without connectors,  terminal strips or the ammeter ($52)  for $126 +shipping.

I wouldn't mind making one, for anyone who wanted it, for $150. Assembled kit harness with screw terminals, ammeter and starter lug connector.      Email me at lzrdood@aim.com.

Sdsailor

i meant to say voltmeter not ammeter. (although i do have one for sale now, lol) heres a few more build pics.

Ekutney

Nice work, it might be a good idea if you offer to build that you got to heat shrink marine terminals.

I'm in the process of doing the same project, along with major wire upgrade to remove the qty 2 ea 4 AWG cables & replace with 01 AWG cables.  I'm not sure what the advantage to adding the terminal block is.  I'm thinking more direct wire because connections are just another potential failure point & if done correctly (good heat shrink terminals at both ends) should outlast the original install which worked for 30 yrs in my case.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke