Failure to drain hot water heater

Previous topic - Next topic

crieders

I noticed when I went to check out the boat that I failed to drain the hot water heater this year. So I promptly drained it!!  Any chance it survived?
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

KWKloeber

There's always a "chance" especially since it's below. Mine is up in the cockpit ( no protection) so 12 yrs ago mine had no chance. How luck do you feel?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jim Hardesty

My vote is yes, it probably survived.  May have shortened the life by expanding and damaging the tank liner.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

crieders

Given the other projects I need to do this year, new rigging, bottom sanding, windless and radar pole....maybe I will just wait and see
Not to mention sailing the boat from Long Island to Chesapeake...
Thanks
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Ron Hill

Cliff : If your hot water heater is the original OEM - it's ONLY 29 years old and surely doesn't owe you anything!!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

[quote ]

May have shortened the life by expanding and damaging the tank liner.

[/quote]

Mine caught a cold about 20 yrs ago, the split was right behind the fitting (weldment) to the tank.  Buddy welder repaired it for a 6-pack.   12 yrs ago, roughly in the same location, but the buddy is now 700 mi away, so it wasn't worth messing with. Plus the beer is more expensive now.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain