Newbie question - 3 blade Prop

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Hill

Guys : The picture of Stu's 3 bladed looks like the Catalina OEM 3 bladed Sailor Prop (just like mine).  The "thickness" is called the cord (leading edge to trailing edge of an airfoil)

The first year I hauled (1989?) I recall that there was a faint "Australia" stamp, but other than the 15x9 there was no name or other marking on my 3 bladed OEM prop!!

A few thoughts

Ron, Apache #788

Ed Shankle

Medved,
Not sure where you are located, but I bought my Flexofold a number of years ago from their Marblehead Ma dealer. That is their US base, or was. Not sure if it is still active. Look up "Flexofold Marblehead" for contact info.
Regards,
Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Medved

Quote from: Ed Shankle on May 22, 2021, 05:55:59 AM
Medved,
Not sure where you are located, but I bought my Flexofold a number of years ago from their Marblehead Ma dealer. That is their US base, or was. Not sure if it is still active. Look up "Flexofold Marblehead" for contact info.
Regards,
Ed

Found a contact on cruiser forum Hensen Marine. Placed an order today, should get it after Memorial Day.

glennd3

One reason I like the 3 bladed prop is it gives me an excuse as to why someone sails faster than me, because it cant be my skills! :shock:
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Noah

The reason I like the folding prop is I need all the help I can get!
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Robert Mann

I have recently replaced the Martec, 2 bladed folder with the Campbell Sailer fixed 3 blade.  I never had good luck with the Martec.  The engine needed to run at far too low an idle to enable a decent engagement of the transmission.  The prop was extremely noisy during opening and from the feels of things exerted a good deal of strain on the drive train.  With Campbell Sailer I can idle between 900 and 1000rpm, the engine is smooth and the shift from forward to reverse is much calmer.  This not a damnation of folders, just my experience with one brand.
Catalina 34 MkII, Indigostar, 2002 no 1622, Tall Rig, M35-BC