MKI sugar scoop transom bilge pump back-flowing seawater?

Previous topic - Next topic

Noah

Ken- Not so sure I want to put 4-screws into that thru-hull (and transom) but will consider that option. Thx.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Noah

Dave— Sorry I missed your comment/question. I had someone else (who had a small trusted helper) do the work. They used quality, smooth bore, corrugated suction hose.
Standard Rig

frankya

Noah - the screws ( #6 if I recall) go >into< , not through, the existing thru-hull. Only need about 3/16 to a 1/4 inch penetration. Pretty non-invasive.

Patches

Noah:

Checked my setup--since we are just a couple of hull numbers apart.  My bilge drain line has a loop in it. The loop is suspended by a zip tie screwed to the underside of the cockpit on the starboard side, aft of the quadrant.  Looks half-a**ed, but has been doing the job for 28 years.  If you have enough excess hose you could try something similar for the cost of one zip tie and 20 minutes of level 6 boat yoga.

Patches

Noah

Thx Patches. I will disassemble the aft lazarette locker this weekend and perhaps I have a similar "suspended"  loop that has been dislodged. That would explain why my back flow problem has surfaced recently, although that may be wishful thinking on my part. I have been distracted lately by multiple projects; replacing fuel tank, soundproofing and painting my engine and bilge, and applying 7 new coats of varnish to my cabin sole. All just finished! Except still have to replace my new tank's fuel sender with the correct 12 in. size—which Ezell says they sent out to me yesterday. Not going to be easy with tank installed and full!
Standard Rig

glennd3

Pictures of your cabin sole with 7 coats? Must be nice!
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Noah

To close the loop:
Finally chased down my back flow suspicion—which was resulting in approx two+ gallons of saltwater in my bilge after vigorous sailing. Last weekend, I went out sailing with a wood plug in the transom bilge pump discharge thru-hull and buried the stern. Returned with DRY bilge. That was the source! Determining why took a bit more effort. Removed two aft cabin bulkheads and removed water tank. Luckily I BARELY have enough slack in my transmission shifter and throttle cables to remove tank.

Turns out the cause of backflow was the "high loop" on my bilge pump hose had become dislodged and was no longer above the water line. I re-secured and hopefully problem solved. I also inspected and adjusted/tightened steering cables. Will test sail all this weekend BEFORE reinstalling water tank—just to be sure all is well. Not a job I want to do again anytime soon. Note my below deck autopilot and fridge compressor make it very tight to maneuver back there. And, I am too old and blind and don't bend well enough to go in upside down from the cockpit seat hatch anymore.
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

Good work.  So that's what it looks like back there...:D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."