Height adjustable table in cabin is VERY difficult

Previous topic - Next topic

pbyrne

I really enjoy the U seating area in the cabin, but raising or lowering the table is extermely difficult to the point that I leave it down and treat the area as large 'day bed'.

Is it normal to have such difficultly with the raising and lowering mechanism?  It seems spring assisted but I need to manhandle it way more than I want to get it to work.
2000 Catalina 34 MK II #1534

Breakin Away

There's an internal gas spring which often breaks. It didn't work (or maybe was completely missing) when I got my boat.

I searched and searched for a direct replacement for the gas spring, but couldn't find it. At the time, CatalinaDirect had this direct replacement for the whole pedestal, but IIRC it was something like $600, and I didn't think it was worth it. It's now discontinued, so I missed my opportunity to get ripped off  :?  https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/catalina-380390/interior/table-pedestal-wgas-spring/

For my dinette, I always leave the table up, so I just cranked down really hard on the knob to keep it in place. I haven't tried anything crazy like sitting on the table - that might lead to a bad result. I still can't remember if the broken gas cylinder is inside there or not - I just don't touch it for fear of breaking something.

CatalinaDirect has one-piece pedestals that might work for you. You could get two - one for up and one for down. You need to measure the required lengths (and verify the diameter), since it is custom made: https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/catalina-42/interior/table-pedestal-silver-anodized-for-silver-powdercoat-alum-base/

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

pbyrne

Quote from: Breakin Away on June 16, 2023, 01:20:43 PM
There's an internal gas spring which often breaks. It didn't work (or maybe was completely missing) when I got my boat.

I searched and searched for a direct replacement for the gas spring, but couldn't find it. At the time, CatalinaDirect had this direct replacement for the whole pedestal, but IIRC it was something like $600, and I didn't think it was worth it. It's now discontinued, so I missed my opportunity to get ripped off  :?  https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/catalina-380390/interior/table-pedestal-wgas-spring/

For my dinette, I always leave the table up, so I just cranked down really hard on the knob to keep it in place. I haven't tried anything crazy like sitting on the table - that might lead to a bad result. I still can't remember if the broken gas cylinder is inside there or not - I just don't touch it for fear of breaking something.

CatalinaDirect has one-piece pedestals that might work for you. You could get two - one for up and one for down. You need to measure the required lengths (and verify the diameter), since it is custom made: https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/catalina-42/interior/table-pedestal-silver-anodized-for-silver-powdercoat-alum-base/

Sadly that's what I thought.  It does seem to 'spring' back up, but holy cow I have to wiggle the hell out of it, and to get it down, I rest one knee on the table and put some weight on it and wiggle like hell again to get it to go down.  It DOES NOT slide well in the tubes.  And yes, I have backed off the knob until it's literally in my hand before I try to move it.

I just can't figure out what the issue is.  I think the top tube which slides into the base tube is slightly loose and binds.  That doesn't explain why it won't go up though..

Ron Hill

pby : Sounds as though yours is OK, but just hard to get down.  Try taking the table top off - 4 or 6 screws as I recall.  Then try a shot of WD 40 and see if that doesn't help?!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

scgunner

pbyrne,

I removed my table altogether you'd be amazed how it opens up the main salon. I keep the table top aboard to make up the bed, when not in use it stores nicely in the V-berth.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

pbyrne

Quote from: scgunner on June 17, 2023, 06:23:24 AM
pbyrne,

I removed my table altogether you'd be amazed how it opens up the main salon. I keep the table top aboard to make up the bed, when not in use it stores nicely in the V-berth.

Yeah I can see the logic in that.  Problem is the MKII's rely on the pedestal to keep the table up.  We use that seating area for sleeping the most.  Without the table in place we'd be sleeping on the cabin floor!

Ron Hill

pby : If as you say - the MK IIs rely on the strut to keep the table in place while down - make some "fiddles" like the MK Is have and screw them (like the MK I) into the sides of the salon seats!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

awesome34

FWIW, I had a similar idea about WD-40 and doing that made my pedestal go from hard to impossible, so I don't recommend it. In the catalina direct listing it warns about not using lubricant and I think I read it somewhere else too after I already had used it, but it was a while ago. I hardly ever lower the table, so I have just lived with it since. I did find a system that looks very similar to the Zwaardvis pedestal on my 88 and very well could be manufactured by Zwaardvis here: https://tacomarine.com/triton-2-stage-adjustable-table-pedestal-system

-Eric

Jim Hardesty

Shamrock's table is almost always up.  I use it as a table, eating, writing etc.  I don't find it in the way too much for everyday use.   I have cobbled up a support/brace to the compression post to reduce the wiggle and waggle.  A more elegant design is on the to-do list, admittedly not near the top.  Can't say I like the table design but have learned to make do.

Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Guys : If as mentioned - WD 40 is a "no no" then try a dry lubricant!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

mdidomenico

for what's it's worth i had the same issue.  when i tried to disassemble the pedestal to fix it up i managed to kill it.  for one thing it was full of aluminum corrosion on the inside and between the tubes, with heavy pitting underneath.  the rough surface wasn't helping the sliding action.  second when i tried to get the gas cylinder out the plastic holding it in was brittle and cracked/broke.  i suspect these weren't made to last 30+ years.  and if they were, disassembly without big task specific tools is probably required.

i too was shocked at the shear cost via catalina direct and haven't bother to replace it.  i was thinking about drilling a series of holes in the pedestal and using a pin to hold the position or putting wooden blocks inside and finding some off the shelf cylinder.  i mean how adjustable does it really need to be, right.  i have other things to fix first so this is pretty low on the list of to-do's
1989 Cat34 #856, original m-25xp

Ron Hill

mdid : What a great idea to drill 2 holes and use a pin!! 

Essentially the table adjustment is ONLY need for TWO position.  UP (as a table) and DOWN (for the cushion/mattress)!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

pbyrne

Quote from: mdidomenico on June 20, 2023, 08:15:22 AM
for what's it's worth i had the same issue.  when i tried to disassemble the pedestal to fix it up i managed to kill it.  for one thing it was full of aluminum corrosion on the inside and between the tubes, with heavy pitting underneath.  the rough surface wasn't helping the sliding action.  second when i tried to get the gas cylinder out the plastic holding it in was brittle and cracked/broke.  i suspect these weren't made to last 30+ years.  and if they were, disassembly without big task specific tools is probably required.

i too was shocked at the shear cost via catalina direct and haven't bother to replace it.  i was thinking about drilling a series of holes in the pedestal and using a pin to hold the position or putting wooden blocks inside and finding some off the shelf cylinder.  i mean how adjustable does it really need to be, right.  i have other things to fix first so this is pretty low on the list of to-do's

Yeah, it still 'goes up' pretty well as long as you wiggle the table.  Going down is another story. For us, that space is needed for sleeping, and we leave it down all the time.  Very annoying, and considering it's real use over the years, I doubt it worked well from day one.

Your logic is bang on with respect to function.  I have no idea why someone thought it needed to have infinite adjustment points.  Straight up to full height, and straight down to full lowered bed height.  Done.

The width of the table would make it pretty hard to lift to be fair.  The new folder design would be a better fit.

Anyways, I guess I need to live with it in the down position, and find some lap tables!

Jim Hardesty

Thought I'd send a picture of my prototype table support.  Did this on a rainy day from parts found on board during last year's cruise after the table was wiggling and wobbling cutting a steak.  Now solid.  Also note in the background my shelf, cut to fit the ledges under the v-berth filler piece.  I find that good storage.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

pbyrne

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on June 21, 2023, 09:17:50 AM
Thought I'd send a picture of my prototype table support.  Did this on a rainy day from parts found on board during last year's cruise after the table was wiggling and wobbling cutting a steak.  Now solid.  Also note in the background my shelf, cut to fit the ledges under the v-berth filler piece.  I find that good storage.
Jim

I like it! The shelf is a good idea too.