Manual bilge pump hose strainer

Previous topic - Next topic

Noah

I promised Paul, "Cool Change" that I would post some photos of the intake hose end of my manual bilge pump. Fitting came with the boat done by a PO. Elbow into hose and stainer threads on.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Paulus

Noah, thanks for the pics.  Any manufacturer name or # ?
Appreciate the pics and will search the web for strainers.  A nice setup.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Noah

Sorry, couldn't locate any branding/writing on the fittings.
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Noah

The PO did a very neat job sourcing/fabricating that setup. Impressive.
BUT, (MBMC) I would have ripped that off as soon as I saw it.

WHY would s/he install a 1" hose and then cut the intake down to what from the pic looks to be significantly less than half that?  And with it turned flat to the bilge have it reduce the flow even more?  With a potential (granted the bilges isn't glass-smooth) for it suctioning to the bottom??  One small pc of cellophane can block it 100%.   Three strikes is cray-cray.

Typically a strum box (about 40 bucks) is used that maintains the same  (or better - more,)  flow-thru area than the hose.
If it's a vertical rather than horizontal strum box, it has feet to prevent suctioning.

IIWMB I'd keep a homemade gizmo, using a 1" pvc cross-tee, with some kind of strainer cap (or true long strainers extending) on the three inlets (or pvc foot valves or foot strainers.)  Being for an emergency and that the manual pump is double-action, I wouldn't use valves.  I'd lay the assembly horizontally.  That way, one little pc of cellophane doesn't block the only inlet (also possible to occur w/a larger pc on the one inlet face of a strum box.)

When Murphy is aboard and things go very far south I'm more concerned with getting max flow out of below, not getting the bilge emptied to the bottom.

Just sayin'

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Noah

Ken- are you saying you don't keep a cellophane-free bilge. 8)  I do believe that the diameter of the hole field is nearly 1 in.  as the fitting flares/steps-out to be much wider than the hose diameter-so no significant capacity loss there. Also, the hose end lives raised a good 3/4 in.(+/-) above the bilge floor so no loss of suction there. But will rexamine situation and weigh your comments.
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Guys : The strainer fitting on the end of the elbow is great and looks nice, but a piece of nylon window screen held in place by a wire tie around the elbow also does the job!!

A thought   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

scgunner

As someone on this board says "your boat, your choice" those fittings look really tidy, but for me if I need that pump I want a full unobstructed flow or maximum GPH, anything you put over that opening weather it be a strainer or a screen will reduce that flow.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Jim Hardesty

QuoteI need that pump I want a full unobstructed flow or maximum GPH, anything you put over that opening weather it be a strainer or a screen will reduce that flow.

My thinking is, that would work till something gets sucked in and fouls the pump.  As you know "your boat your choice"
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

KWKloeber

Guys,  you both can be correct. That's the purpose of a strum box - see reply #4. Either boughten or DIY from pipe fittings to provide more intake/storage area per each handle pump volume.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

scgunner

Jim,

That's a pretty healthy sized hose, if you've got stuff in your bilge big enough to foul that line you may have bigger problems.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

KWKloeber

Quote from: scgunner on March 21, 2019, 09:23:57 AM
   Jim,

That's a pretty healthy sized hose, if you've got stuff in your bilge big enough to foul that line you may have bigger problems.

Kevin, just an observation about that pump.  It's fairly (but not 100%) foolproof.  Its simple design is a testament that it can take some abuse and still come up shining. BUT, it doesn't take a 1" diameter steel ball (or whatever diameter hose it is) to foul it.  During an emergency, a thin sliver of plastic or a wad of Twinkie cellophane sucked up can foul the valve.  Additionally, since any restriction (i.e., holes in a strainer) restricts the intake, it is belt & suspenders to have the type of "reservoir" (that self fills between strokes) that a strum box provides.  I won't detail it here, but I found the same phenomenon with my head intake.  The pump wouldn't work without a length of hose that fills and acts as a reservoir between strokes.

Jon W

Well that does it for me, no twinkies on the boat.  :thumb:
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Bobg

just curious, how often do you use your manual bilge pump, I check mine once in a while, but I have to put water in the bilge to do it, and if anything like a piece of cellophane got on your screen couldn't you just take it off?  I get it.. being ready for that big emergency, all that being said, I don't have anything on my hose, just figured that what small piece of debris  that could get into my bilge could be pumped through
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

KWKloeber

Quote from: Jon W on March 23, 2019, 05:37:15 AM
Well that does it for me, no twinkies on the boat.  :thumb:

The one I found was whole, dated from when the PO purchased the boat.  tasty.  it's true they are indestructible.

KWKloeber

personally very occasionally. 
But you're right, we're planning on a Murphy stowaway and an oh sh*t moment when you don't want to jump down and clear an intake.   Same as I tell peeps to remove/deep six the cir-clip on the Ob sea water pump -- you don't need to be searching for a snap ring pliers when you're heading for a shoal and realize the thru hull was shut and the impeller burned up.