Pics of my smaller dinette table

Previous topic - Next topic

csimmerling

I'm getting stir crazy waiting for spring and boating season. Was looking over pics from prior years and thought people might like the replacement dinette I made from a teak cutting board. I still keep the original in case we need to drop it for the bed.
"Natterling", #148 1986 mk 1 fin keel std rig, Port Jefferson, NY

Stu Jackson

Beautiful.

added tags: salon table saloon table
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

glennd3

Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

scgunner

I did the same thing with my dinette but it's slightly bigger and I used some teak planks for the build. The interesting thing though, while I had the table out during the build everyone really liked how it opened up the main salon so now I just carry the new teak table in the V-berth unless it's needed.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Noah

Gunner- You leave the table out—with the base still in, or remove the base and have a hole in the sole, or cover the hole?? Or?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

scgunner

Noah,

I remove the table as a unit, base and all. I made a small circular cover for the hole in the deck when the table is out.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

csimmerling

Do you out all of the base screws back in to use it, or is it stable without?

scgunner

It's not stable without the screws but I keep them handy and the table can be screwed into place in a few minutes when needed.

patrice

Very nice table.

Samething happened when i took the original table to make one smaller on the settee sides.
It looked so bigger whitout the table.
So i made another smaller one, called our cocktail table.  It's about 12x18in.
This one is alwsys in place.
The other one is sitting sidway against the wall in the backroom.  The wall of the stairs. 2 small eyebolt with a bungy cord.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

scgunner

It's amazing what a difference removing the table altogether made. It turned the main salon from an area with an access isle to a roomy area.

csimmerling

I agree, taking the table out makes it so roomy. I'd like an option for a faster way to put in a table without needing the pedestal.

Ron Hill

Guys : A number of C34 owners have made the standard table in to a "drop leaf" table.  That way you still have the large table when you want it, but a smaller table when not in use!! 
Wrote a Mainsheet tech note article (with pictures) on that topic a few years back.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

csimmerling

Hi Ron, I've seen that and it's a great idea, but what I meant was that i'd like a way to (quickly) have no table at all, not just a smaller one with the leaf down. I really like that solution, but it isn't quite what I'd like to do...

Stu Jackson

Quote from: csimmerling on March 13, 2019, 12:47:57 PM>>>>>>>>

...but what I meant was that i'd like a way to (quickly) have no table at all, not just a smaller one with the leaf down. I really like that solution, but it isn't quite what I'd like to do...

cs,

You're right.  What I found interesting is that everyone has a different idea of what will work for them.  In 1999 Al Watson posted his solution in the old, now static, projects page. http://www.c34.org/projects/kindred-spirit/coffee.html

I read Ron's idea when he first published it. 

I "saved" many of the ideas others have shared here on the forum under "salon table" or "saloon table" if one does a search here.  Most of them utilized the smallest table possible idea in various and creative ways.

I took a completely different approach and just cut off 6 inches off the aft end, in a recent tech note.  Works for me.  Not for everyone. 

Your boat, your choice.  :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

scgunner

Before I settled on this configuration(smaller table which can be easily removed)I considered doing something similar to the cocktail table in the cockpit that's attached to the wheel and folds down. Something that would be attached to the mast and could be folded out of the way.