Battery system for distance cruising

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted Pounds

Quote from: Stu Jackson on March 05, 2019, 10:24:40 AM
Paul,

Steve aka waterdog, sold his boat a few years ago and I do not think he's around here anymore, he's sailing a 40 ft catamaran, most likely in MX by now.

Scroll up. Steve just posted here 1 March.  :thumb:
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

KWKloeber

Tacking onto Stu's observation about simplicity - how I read Steve's comments is:

(not necessarily recommending it but) IF you go big (say 100a) you need to consider all that junk he lists.  SO INSTEAD consider going moderate Leece (say 70-ish, the trade off being it would be internally reg.) ie, keep it KISS.

THAT SAID, the new drop in Universal replacements that Rod will soon (if not already) have available look like a REALLY GOOD compromise.
Billet pulley
Drop in foot
72a
On the back reg w/ 2-stage, remote sense able
What else am I missing?
(beside that if it's Rod's, you know it's a 2x quality piece of machinery for the money.) :thumb:

It's not a $70 reman, but it's a nice compromise between that and a full blown $$$$$ charging system re-do (if your style doesn't require that.)

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

mainesail

Quote from: KWKloeber on March 06, 2019, 10:20:31 AM
Tacking onto Stu's observation about simplicity - how I read Steve's comments is:

(not necessarily recommending it but) IF you go big (say 100a) you need to consider all that junk he lists.  SO INSTEAD consider going moderate Leece (say 70-ish, the trade off being it would be internally reg.) ie, keep it KISS.

THAT SAID, the new drop in Universal replacements that Rod will soon (if not already) have available look like a REALLY GOOD compromise.
Billet pulley
Drop in foot
72a
On the back reg w/ 2-stage, remote sense able
What else am I missing?
(beside that if it's Rod's, you know it's a 2x quality piece of machinery for the money.) :thumb:

It's not a $70 reman, but it's a nice compromise between that and a full blown $$$$$ charging system re-do (if your style doesn't require that.)

Just building the first ones now.  We can also build them in a 90A or 105A version too. Still, for cruising, an external regulator correctly wired is the way to go, unless you have lots of solar...
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Ted Pounds on March 06, 2019, 09:58:46 AM
Quote from: Stu Jackson on March 05, 2019, 10:24:40 AM
Paul,

Steve aka waterdog, sold his boat a few years ago and I do not think he's around here anymore, he's sailing a 40 ft catamaran, most likely in MX by now.
Scroll up. Steve just posted here 1 March.  :thumb:

Ted,

I am AN IDIOT!!!   :cry4`

Thanks for noting.

Hey, Steve, hi to Tracy!  Great to see you still hangin' with us po' folk!  :D

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

Quote from: mainesail on March 06, 2019, 12:34:16 PM
Just building the first ones now.  We can also build them in a 90A or 105A version too. Still, for cruising, an external regulator correctly wired is the way to go, unless you have lots of solar...

RC, clear up my confusion -- are you saying that the 90a/105a w/ the back-on adj regulator is a drop-in for a Universal M25 (etc.)?
I thought you don't want to push that high w/o getting into WP/crank pulley/belt changes?

-ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

mainesail

Quote from: mainesail on March 06, 2019, 12:34:16 PM

Ultimately, if pushing beyond 90A or so, especially with high acceptance batteries or even large flooded banks, the optimal solution is a serpentine kit. Unfortunately these serpentine pulleys do not fit the LN frames and you'd need to be into a Delco style frame. Lots of options... 

Good points here.  One thing MS and I have discussed over the years is external regulators and how Small Engine Mode can help, too.  If you look at Elec 101 you'll see those discussions.
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

KWKloeber

Thanks RC, perfect explanation.

Quote from: mainesail on March 07, 2019, 03:43:03 AM

"Catalina Special"..

I hope you'll market it beyond that - there's lots others out there with M-25s!

-k

DaveBMusik

As an aside for anyone dealing with belt issues, I put on a Balmar serpentine kit on my Yanmar 3YM30 and works beautifully.
Dave Burgess
Water Music
1986 C34 Hull #206, Fin Keel
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

KWKloeber

Lots of options...

RC,

Do I interpret it correctly that your slap-on adjV LN regulator CANNOT be used on the 2049K (the alternator that I believe was most typical one used on the M-25s?  I would need the ER adapter and an $$$$ER ?

-ken

Stu Jackson

Ultimately, if pushing beyond 90A or so, especially with high acceptance batteries or even large flooded banks, the optimal solution is a serpentine kit. Unfortunately these serpentine pulleys do not fit the LN frames and you'd need to be into a Delco style frame. Lots of options... 

Good points here.  One thing MS and I have discussed over the years is external regulators and how Small Engine Mode can help, too.  If you look at Elec 101 you'll see those discussions.

Just so you know, what I have is a 100A Blue Circle alternator , Balmar MC-612 external regulator, AO to house bank, Yandina combiner, Freedom 15 I/C.  I started out with a stock alternator with an AutoMac.

I still run a 3/8" Gates belt, nothing special other than Gates.  I have carefully adjusted my bracket based on MS's excellent advice (also posted in both Critical Upgrades and the 101 Topics).

Operationally, the Small Engine Mode use is discussed in the Elec 101s.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."