need an expert of late sherwood raw water pump

Previous topic - Next topic

andre

Hello I saw in a topic about the pump (The water side seal on the pump consists of two ceramic discs pressing against each other.  One disc rotates with the impeller and shaft, while the other one is stationary.  The stationary disc is also spring loaded to keep pressure against the rotating disc to form the "seal", keeping the water inside the pump housing). I have removed my pump and turned the shaft by hand but the disc don't turn with the shaft, sometimes just the snap ring turns a little bit but not always. There is nothing for blocking the disc against the shaft. Do you have any idea about that? thank you.     Sherwood G908
L'Apache hull#1377  1997 Quebec Canada universal 35bc

Tsuru

Hello,
I've rebuilt a couple G908's but am no expert.   
You are correct there are 2 hard faced seals held together by a spring.    One seal base is press fit into the bearing housing and the other is pressed onto the pump shaft.    The seal on the pump shaft is friction fit to the shaft and nothing but friction and hope hold it together.   Truth is there is very little force on the seal when the pump is together so there is nothing wrong with the design.   
That said these seals are difficult to install.    They are a hard face with a rubber gasket over the shaft.   It's easy to crack the seal when pressing in place or damaging the rubber inner gasket when it slides over the shaft.      I made a special tool to hold the seal square to the shaft.  Then debur the woodruff key slot on the shaft and use a special assembly lubricant.   The lube helps the rubber slide on the shaft without damage but then bonds the seal to the shaft.   
Good luck,
Ray

Jim Hardesty

There is more information in the search.  Look at this

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=7489.0

Hope that helps.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

andre

Thank you guys for your help. I have 2 pumps since I have had leak on the original at Nassau. So I want to rebuilt the first one with a major repair kit that I found on Ebay. My two bearing are finish I need to rebuilt all the pump. On Ebay the major rebuilt kit is 150.00 us and I think it's a good idea to rebuilt the pump.
L'Apache hull#1377  1997 Quebec Canada universal 35bc

Ron Hill

andre : Once again check with DEPCO 1-800-445-1656 on their price before you buy any Sherwood parts on the internet.  They usually give the best price.  Also DEPCO will install those parts for you - if you don't want to do it yourself. Just send them the pump.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Roc

I think you can have Depco rebuild the pump for you for that amount or even less than $150. 
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

prh77

One other option is an Orberdorfer. Much better pump.
Peyton Harrison Hull # 597 1988 "Trinity"