Chesapeake

Previous topic - Next topic

crieders

I have inquired before but now its decision time
I have decided on Green Point Marine, Worton Creek
but friends say that Balto is closer to Pa or that Rock Hall is closer to open water
Is anyone at or near Greenpoint and what can you tell me about the location and their work?
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Ron Hill

Cliff : Where are you coming from??? 
I can tell you that most of the people I know that lived in NJ or PA, keep their boats in Rock Hall

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

glennd3

Rock Hall allows you many more overnight destinations if you are a weekend cruiser. I sailed out of Middle river for years and eventually moved to the Magothy because of the more options for destinations.  Now if you are retired and can go for longer than weekends then location is not as important. Coming out of Worton the furthest you can get sailing in a day is Rock Hall on the eastern shore. Anything further south for an overnight would be Kent narrows or Queenstown creek off the Chester, which would be hard to make sailing. The only options on the western shore are south of Worton, anything north is too shallow. Middle river would be the first river followed by the Patapsco. Middle river is developed on most shoreline. Patapsco has several creeks on its south shore line that are nice anchorages east of the key bridge. Anything west of the Key bridge is usually a Fells Point type trip.  Again anything south of that is a push if you are sailing. If it takes another 30 minutes of driving to get to Rock Hall I would consider it. Just my thoughts
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Bill Shreeves

I've spent 2 seasons at Worton Creek Marina just past Green Point Marina.  We've love Worton Creek and all 3 Marinas on the creek are very nice.  All have different things to offer.  I nearly chose Green Point but, went with Worton Creek Marina for a few more amenities.  i.e. the only fuel dock on the creek, excellent old-time ship store, pool and an excellent restaurant.  We've been very happy with the overnight destinations and typically anchor out, which we love to do.  Worton Creek is also popular anchoring spot for boats on the Western Shore however, I've never anchored in it.  We figure we got a boat to take her someplace else.

I cruised through Rock Hall last summer to check it out from the water.   Been there many times via car and its a fabulous town.  Gotta tell you.  I wouldn't be thrilled having to deal with the fairly time consuming trip though the channel from Rock Hall to get to deep water every time I go out.   Maybe local knowledge gets you some uncharted short cuts but otherwise, I wasn't going to risk it with my shoal draft.  Maybe because I wanted to go North and I'm guessing going South would be less impact. The trip to deep water seems much easier from WC.  Under ideal conditions from Worton Creek we're a 4 to 4-1/2 hour cruise to Baltimore Inner Harbor.  Certainly a very easy day.  Haven't had problems getting to the Magothy, Sassafras, Annapolis, Rock Hall and, with an early start and favorable tides with Kent Narrows, can make St Michael's in a day with favorable winds and/or motor sailing.   Haven't gotten around to any Western Shore locations North of Baltimore yet.  So, IMO, I'm not sure easy or quick access from Rock Hall is all that unless your really in to staying at other marinas overnight.  We enjoy anchoring out.  I'm pretty sure the slips are a bit more expensive @ RH too.

The Admiral and I have chatted about moving to RH but, she wants nothing to do with an additional 15 minutes each way on top of our nearly 2 hour drive from South Jersey and frankly, we've made great friends and really like Worton Creek Marina and its amenities.  It's starting to feel like family to us.  BTW, they're finishing up a Middletown ByPass this winter and the trip may soon be a bit faster but it will be another toll.

BTW, if seriously considering Green Point, be mindful that I see boats in their slips get bounced around quite a bit if strong winds coming across the bay and straight in to the creek because Green Point is more exposed.  Need a slip behind the sea wall which aren't bounced around as much.  So says a relative that kept his Morgan 38 there for years before moving to RI. He loved Green Point.

Worton Creek Marina is about a protected as can be imagined.  Many consider it a hurricane hole.  If not settled on the Marina, and you haven't decided, take a look at it.  Like all 3, it has strengths and weaknesses.  Currently there's my C34 and 1 other there.  The other is the guy that gave me background on the 3 marinas on Worton Creek that I met on this forum.

Good luck and hope to see you on the water!

-Bill
The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner...

Bill Shreeves
s/v "Begnnings" 1987 Shoal Draft #333
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

Breakin Away

I don't think you can go wrong with Worton Creek. If, after a couple of years, you want to have easier access to more southern points (day trips to Annapolis and Magothy, overnights in Deale, and dozens of anchorages on the Chester), then you can move to Rock Hall later.

Rock Hall is pricey. My marina got a little too aggressive with price hikes and lost some customers, so they had a rollback this year. One of our friends moved to another marina in Rock Hall where they said they have much lower rates and less noise from the restaurants. I think it is Swan Point Marina, but not sure. I'm locked in where I am for 2019, but may look at their marina for 2020.

Swan Point Bar is a non-issue. From green can #1, I head due west past the light. I've never seen less than 7 feet there, usually 8-9 feet. Out of an abundance of caution, I will motor across before raising my sails (so I can quickly back off if I hit), and I don't think I'd cross it at low tide if there was 3' chop, or if a strong northwesterly was blowing the water out the mouth of the Bay. But I've never been heading north or west in those conditions, so I always cross it if heading north or west. If heading to Chester River or Annapolis, I do go around it, because there is no  time savings. Being in Rock Hall Harbor (instead of Swan Creek), I do save about 20 minutes of motoring each way vs. Swan Creek.

For me personally, the extra 15 minute drive time is worth it, but everyone is different. I will say that in general, driving on the eastern shore is much less stressful than Edgewater/Annapolis/Mayo/Galesville/Deale. I did that for one summer, and we practically went crazy.

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Bill Shreeves

Breakin' - Good local knowledge about the Swan Point Bar, thanks!  Never less than 7 feet over the bar huh?  That would save a bit of time.  Next time I wander to RH I'll give it a cautious shot

My trip out was from Swan creek so, that needs to be factored as well for the extra time.  I took a lazy 2 day return to Worton Creek from St Michaels last year and went up the Chester River to Langford Creek.  Anchored just South of the mouth of Davis Creek.  It was a beautiful spot to anchor and I will be going back.  That August Fri night had very little boat traffic heading in to Davis Creek and it was really pleasant.  It was my only trip up the Chester so, if you have any recommendations for good spots to go, I'm all ears.

Bill Shreeves
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

glennd3

Bill if you get a chance Reed Creek is a very nice anchorage, just south of the Corsica river.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Bill Shreeves

Quote from: glennd3 on February 13, 2019, 04:53:35 PM
Bill if you get a chance Reed Creek is a very nice anchorage, just south of the Corsica river.

Thanks Glenn!  I really appreciate it and l'll keep that in mind.

Bill Shreeves
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD