Mark 1 Galley counter top...have you removed yours?

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Tancock

I am determined to finally get at the icebox and improve the insulation.
I've read everything on this site at least a couple of times.
I will remove the counter if it will allow me to see what I am doing rather than blindly spraying foam, but not if it is a waste of time.
Some say when the counter is off the access around the box is the same, Ron says good access to the starboard side/hull void.
My boat is a 1988 (hull #630). If you are anywhere near me and have removed your counter, what did you see?
Thanks for any thoughts regarding the galley counter and other icebox insulation strategies!
Jeff
Jeff Tancock
Stray Cat #630
Victoria, BC
Canada
1988 25xp

mregan

When I bought my '86 4 years ago I replaced my counter.  Was rotting from the leaking vent stanchions.  I think with the counter off I was able to drill some holes in the fiberglass and spray some foam in the space between the hull and the icebox and the icebox and the stove.  It also made it easier to spray the other two sides.  If you keep the counter on you would be trying to spray the bow and port side through one of the drawer openings.
If you go with spray form, try to find a sprayable 2 part style. Will come as a kit with a hose and plastic spray gun.  It sticks to vertical surfaces well and hardens in about 30 seconds.  On my old C-30 I tried using the spray foam you get at HD and it took so long to set it kept falling off the sides of the icebox.
Once you get the counter back on, you have about 2-3" of countertop that is inboard to the icebox.  I cut some 2" styrofoam board pieces and fit them around the icebox door to insulate the 2-3" of counter space over the icebox to give it some insulation.

Stu Jackson

Jeff, don't know if you've seen this "Golden Oldie" from back in the 90s.

http://www.c34.org/projects/projects-counter-top.html

It's in the old Projects page, here:  http://www.c34.org/projects/projects.html  which also has a link from the wiki.  I don't know if Capt. Al Watson's own home page is still available, he may have photographed some of his work and shown it there.  They bought a Catalina Morgan 43, sailed it extensively and finally bought a m/y.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Jef : If you look at that Mainsheet tech Note article that I wrote on insulating the "Ice Box".
I used the 3 1/2" foil faced wall insulation and did that on the port and bottom sides (foil taped ON).  Then I glued on a piece of 1/2" double foil faced Styrofoam on the forward wall facing the settee cushion.  I sprayed foam thru a couple of holes I drilled in the starboard side liner - this was a real guess job on how much foam to spray in each hole!!

So I didn't remove the counter top, but between what I did and using a thermal pad on the fridge top - it all worked out very well.  I even used a very thin piece of foil faced cardboard insulation that I glued on the fridge aft side after removing the stove. That had to be thin so the stove could be reinstalled!!!

A few thoughts  Good LucK   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Jeff Tancock

Thanks for your thoughts guys.

I've been around this site for 20 years so....Yes Stu, I searched and read everything on the site. I do appreciate the links that you provide everyone though. Thank you!
Capt Al's page will help if I do pull the counter.

Yes Ron, I read your tech notes about what you did. I also found a thread where you said that you had access to the gap between the icebox and the starboard hull when you removed the counter and stuffed some rigid foam in there before spraying more foam. I guess I misread something???? I did spend a few hours searching everything multiple times.

To mregan, since you did pull you counter, do you feel it was worth the effort to gain the better access? Would you do it again? I am up for the task if it will help me do a better job of it.

Thanks again. Anyone else with comments?
Jeff Tancock
Stray Cat #630
Victoria, BC
Canada
1988 25xp

DaveBMusik

I didn't bother with the counter top so I don't know what is between the hull and ice box. I pulled out the drawer unit and a bunch of white foam sheets which were fairly useless. I was able to get the forward, port and underneath with the spray nozzle and it made quite a bit of difference: http://www.rhhfoamsystems.com/standard.php
Dave Burgess
Water Music
1986 C34 Hull #206, Fin Keel
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

Paulus

Jeff, I took a different approach. Inside the ice box I drilled a 1/4 inch hole(used a stopper on my drill so that it did not penetrate deeper than 1/4 inch) every 5" and measured the depth with a chop stick.  Worked my way down until I was about 2" from the outside hull at the bottom.  Sprayed foam in each of the holes, don't remember the brand, but one that did not expand greatly.  (many new foams on the market).  I also checked the inside of the ice box next to the stove, that had already was insulated.  I used the same method on the side towards the settee.  Then I cleaned and fiber glassed the holes.  Did this project about 15years ago.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Ron Hill

Guys : Sorry, I may not have said that I removed the entire galley drawer & lower door unit to get at everything. Then easy to put insulation around the fridge box.

An added thought
Ron, Apache #788