'87 Catalina 34

Previous topic - Next topic

Susie Johnson

Guess portholes are the topic of the day!  We'd like to replace the screens for our portholes on our 87 Catlina 34, hull #429.  I need a part number and manufactuer for the portholes.  Can anyone help?  Thanks.

Mike Vaccaro

Check with www.lewmar.com. The portlights on our '88 (Hull #563) are Lewmar Old Standard lights, size 1.  There is a complete part listing on the website as well as a list of portlight parts.  Most are still available.

Cheers,

Mike Vaccaro
"Spirit" '88 Hull 563

JIM BRENER 1987 #504 "WI

I purchased screens and seals last year from Florida Rigging & Hydraulics, 561-863-7444, who had them in stock.  They were mfg. by Lewmar part number for screen size 1, 19898100, seal 19898600, screen size 0, 19898000, seal 19898500.

Jim Brener
Wind Spirit #504

Ran139

$21.for the Size#1 screen and $14.00 for the seal  in case anyone was wondering...

Regards!

Jkar

Buy all 6 at the same time and they will cut you a discount.

mike baker

Lewmar changed the design of these screens recently and the new design will not work in older ports.  I ordered 4 replacement screens from Sailnet a couple years ago (#LEW19898100) that were almost exactally like the originals.  However, I ordered some more about a month ago and now the same part number is completely different and will not work in the older ports.  Lewmar tech support said they changed the design trying to make the same screen work in both old and new ports.  The admitted that they don't work in the old ports very well.  I could not get them to stay in place.  They no longer have the 2 little tabs on each side to hold them in.

In desperation I cut the old screen out of 2 old frames, carefully put a small bead of JB Weld on the outside surface of the frames, laid new screen cloth over the frames and carefully presses the cloth into the adhesive. This worked out very well.

However, If anyone has a source for the old style screens I would like to get some.

Mike Baker #815 "Gray Hawk"

Susei Johnson

Hi Mike,

We have an 1987 Hull#429.  So I don't know if we have older style port lites.  However, I received our new screens PN LEW19898100. Once again I am in heaven.  They are much nicer than the ones we replaced, are eaiser to install, and fit perfectly. I purchased them from SailNet for $16 a pc with no shipping and no sales tax.  I did not use new seals and the fit was perfect.  There is a total of 10 tabs!  3 tabs top and bottom, 2 tabs on sides. For years we messed around with the old ones.  The ease of the new screens made me wonder why we never ordered screens sooner.  Thanks to this wonderful message board it's much easier to figure out how to go about a boat improvement. Thanks to all who contribute!!!

Stu Jackson

Susei (or Susie)

Seems you may be signing on each time you want to get on the MB.

Try this:

http://c34.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=329609511&f=829605811&m=300609811&r=153604541#153604541

It's a long thread, but you may find that having your own screen name and boat information will help you get answers more rapidly and/or helpfully.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Windswell

Stu,

Thanks for the info.  I now am logged in.

mike baker

Sisie,

I am glad you were able to find replacement screens that work.  The screens I got from SailNet, PN LEW1989100, were nothing like what you describe.  The ones I got only had 2 tabs on only one side and would not stay in place so I returned them.  I guess I should contact SailNet to see what is going on.  Thanks for the info.

Mike Baker #815 "Gray Hawk"

Chris

I am also looking for screens and following this chain closely.  I couldn't find any suitable screens on the Sailnet web catalog, and the parts listed on the Lewmar website with the part number you are referring to looks just like my old screens, not like what Susie describes.  If anyone get this clarified, please share!
Thanks for all the info!
Chris
ChriSea #832, 1989
Tall rig, fin keel
Sailing on Lake Michigan

Tweetybd

I can't believe it!  I finally found a thread that Ron Hill HASN'T participated in!

There goes the constancy in the universe!

Jon