How to change light bulb in old-style Maxwell Windlass breaker panel?

Previous topic - Next topic

Noah

I have an old-style Maxwell windlass breaker panel and the red "on" light is not working. Does anyone know how to remove/change the lightbulb? From front or back or???I don't want to willy nilly start prying on plastic I can't replace...
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Looks to be held with the CTY _hot glue_ method (same as my switched and fuse holders.)

Scrape off or cut thru the bead around the backside with a razor knife and it **should** pop out the front of your panel.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Stu Jackson

Ken's right, that looks suspiciously like the green DC power lights on our older electrical panels on our early mid-80's boats.  Those 12V lamps were notorious for failing.  Ron Hill wrote about it, and he suggested replacing the constantly burning out 12V lamps with 24V lamps.  I bought two of the 12V ones from Seaward before they went belly up.  The one I put in lasted only a year or two.  I still have another one, but why bother? :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Noah : On some of the older lights they had a tab on either side that snapped out when the light was pushed into the rectangular hole.  Just compress those tabs and it should slide right out.

That's how the "Battery ON" light is made. 

I suggested a 24V bulb - so it would be dimmer (& last longer) when connected into a 12V socket!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788