Manus swivel

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulus

Thinking about putting a mantus swivel on my 5/16 chain and 32lb bruce anchor.  The rep at mantus recommended the S1.
Appreciate any thoughts about the product and size.
Thanks,
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Dave Spencer

There will be lots of opinions on swivels... almost as contentious as subject as anchors.
My opinion; skip the swivel.  It's an unnecessary complication in the relatively simple anchor system.  Before buying, I would ask myself "what problem am I trying to solve?"   If a swivel solves the problem or gives you a sense of satisfaction, go for it.   :thumb:

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Paulus

Hi Dave, the minor problem that i am trying to solve is:  When I pull up the anchor(by hand) it wants to spin when it clears the water.  I thought maybe a swivel would solve this problem.
Stay warm.
Thanks,
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Gregory M

Hi Paul!
The only swivel, I find out, will work for what you want to accomplish (BTW. same issue) is Anchorlift, anchor tunrer kit. I have installed and it really works with my Rocna 15 kg. No regrets. :clap. 5/16 chain. Price little steep at $183. It works! No more annoing/dangerous, reaching for chain to twist to right position!
https://www.anchorlift.net/anchor-turner-kits-1454648750
Gregory, "Luna Rossa", #1063, 1990, T.Rig Mk 1.5, fin keel. Universal M 35,  Rocna 15,
Penetanguishene ON.

Dave Spencer

Hi Paul,
I can certainly see the benefit of the Anchorlift that Gregory has identified in his post above.  I have a windlass so the chain generally comes up straight and if there has been any spinning of the anchor, it rights itself once it's off the bottom.  Lifting by hand as you do would make it more difficult to ensure the chain comes up and is deployed straight in my view. However, maybe at the beginning of the season, you could lay the chain out on the dock and carefully haul it into the anchor locker making sure there are no rotations in the chain.  This wouldn't guarantee a whole season's worth of trouble free retrievals but it would be a good start.
If you do go ahead with a swivel, have a look at the Practical Sailor writeup in the Sept 2015 edition; especially with regard to the recommendation to not connect the swivel directly to the anchor but have a short lead to prevent side loading of the swivel.

https://www.practical-sailor.com/issues/37_57/features/Anchor-Swivels-Caution-Required_11797-1.html

Good luck in your research.
Speaking of shiny boat toys, the Toronto Boat Show starts this weekend and I've left lots of room on my credit card for boat "necessities" that I haven't even thought of yet! :D

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Rick Roberts

Quote from: Paulus on January 14, 2019, 12:39:57 PM
Thinking about putting a mantus swivel on my 5/16 chain and 32lb bruce anchor.  The rep at mantus recommended the S1.
Appreciate any thoughts about the product and size.
Thanks,
Paul

I got the S2 Mantus swivel with 5/16 chain and a 45lbs Mantus. I know the website mention that the S1 and S2 would be the proper size for 5/16 chain. I only decided to go with the S2 because we have plans to do extensive cruising, living at anchor every single day and the working load/breaking strength is stronger than the chain. I'm sure it would help to solve your issue, a lot of old school guys will try to tell you they are the weakest link of your chain but that isn't true anymore.
1988 #804, Bria Mia - Mexico (Formerly known as SV Blackdragon)
Fin keel, standard rig.

Youtube channel: youtube.com/wandersailing
Latest Video: patreon.com/wandersailing

Graham

Paul,
Mantus have a chart on their web-site https://www.mantusmarine.com/mantus-swivel/ that details what swivel to use.  S1 should be fine, unless your using Grade 70 chain - then you need S2.  I recently bought a 35lb Mantus Anchor, Swivel and Anchor Mate.   l found that for my 1997 C34 mk2 No.1376 with standard bow-roller:
(a) the 35lb anchor (which is good for winds 50 knots) was too large and the tip would gouge the bow, so I replaced it with a 25 lb - which is good for 30 knots and fits snugly.  Anything more than 20 knots, I will be running for the nearest marina.
(b) the Anchor Mate was too large for the standard bow-roller, so got returned.
(c) I decided to go for the S2 given that in the UK the price differential is £20 and given that I had already parted with a considerable sum (decided to get 30m of chain as well), thought I would play safe as both S1 and S2 are recommended by Mantus for 5/16" chain.

I guess at the end it all depends on what you will be using it for, occasional over-nights in calm weather then the S1 should suffice, serious cruising in far away places with no marinas near-by, then the S2 should be considered.  If you are considering serious cruising, I would recommend upgrading your chain to 3/8".

Hope this is of assistance.
Graham
C34 Mk II #1376 Smooth Jazz
Chichester, West Sussex, UK

Ron Hill

Guys : I had a "Hayne"(SP?) swivel and Loved it.  It was attached to 50' of 1/4HT chain and a Bruce 33 anchor.  Never had a problem and it did keep the chain from twisting - brought up by a windlass.
Were in many a blow and one Tstorm (I remember in particular) with another C34 rafted - violently turned 180 degrees!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

John Langford

I have just installed a Mantus swivel between 150ft of 1/4" G4 chain and a 33lb Rocna.  I haven't used it in anger yet but l am totally impressed by the design of the swivel and the integrity of the installation itself. It's a lot more robust than any other swivel I have encountered. I'm using it with a Maxwell 500 windlass.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

lazybone

Quote from: Graham on January 24, 2019, 01:28:11 PM
Paul,
Mantus have a chart on their web-site https://www.mantusmarine.com/mantus-swivel/ that details what swivel to use.  S1 should be fine, unless your using Grade 70 chain - then you need S2.  I recently bought a 35lb Mantus Anchor, Swivel and Anchor Mate.   l found that for my 1997 C34 mk2 No.1376 with standard bow-roller:
(a) the 35lb anchor (which is good for winds 50 knots) was too large and the tip would gouge the bow, so I replaced it with a 25 lb - which is good for 30 knots and fits snugly.  Anything more than 20 knots, I will be running for the nearest marina.
(b) the Anchor Mate was too large for the standard bow-roller, so got returned.
(c) I decided to go for the S2 given that in the UK the price differential is £20 and given that I had already parted with a considerable sum (decided to get 30m of chain as well), thought I would play safe as both S1 and S2 are recommended by Mantus for 5/16" chain.

I guess at the end it all depends on what you will be using it for, occasional over-nights in calm weather then the S1 should suffice, serious cruising in far away places with no marinas near-by, then the S2 should be considered.  If you are considering serious cruising, I would recommend upgrading your chain to 3/8".

Hope this is of assistance.

30 knots?
In the middle of the night when the weatherperson gets it wrong and the wind doesn't cooperate, "running for the nearest marina" is not a fun option.  Interesting but not fun.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Paulus

Thanks for all the input.  I am going to put a S2 mantus swivel in the system.  Not going to change my chain or rode as I am very pleased with the system I use.
Anchoring is like fishing, it is all in how you set the hook.  Running to a marine is not an option or desired.
Thanks,
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944