Patching windlass deck hole and installing new Lewmar v3 windlass

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Roberts

When I originally purchased SV Blackdragon, it came with a Lewmar v700 windlass that could only accept 1/4 inch chain. In the process of refitting the boat by having the plan to start crossing the South Pacific this Spring. I decided I would need roughly 275 feet of 5/16 and the old Lewmar V700 might not keep up with that. I picked the Lewmar v3 windlass which is definitely oversized but wanted the peace of mind and got a really good deal on it. Also, I thought since the new windlass is a bigger unit, the hole would be bigger. I was wrong!!! I should of doublechecked... I ended getting myself in a bigger project than expected in Mexico where supply where limited and harder to get. The deck was originally roughly 1-inch thick and added an extra 1/4 on top and bottom. For a total of 45 layers of 1708 fibreglass. Here's a few pictures ...
1988 #804, Bria Mia - Mexico (Formerly known as SV Blackdragon)
Fin keel, standard rig.

Youtube channel: youtube.com/wandersailing
Latest Video: patreon.com/wandersailing

Rick Roberts

Inside and starting to glass
Fin keel, standard rig.

Rick Roberts

fiberglassing and gelcoat
Fin keel, standard rig.

Rick Roberts

Fin keel, standard rig.

Jon W

Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Rick Roberts

Thanks! I drilled the hole for the new windlass, which was an excessive 1inch a half of solid fibreglass and installed the new Lewmar V3. Upgraded the wiring, fuse and breaker.

I also installed an AutoAnchor chain counter which was pretty tricky to install. Had to run an extra 8 wires from the windlass to the pedestal, thru the 1-inch tubing. Now I can see exactly how much chain/rode is out and control it from the helm. Totally forgot to take pictures before flying to Canada for the Holidays, will back to the boat in Mexico in 2 weeks. Will take a few pictures of the new setup when I'm back. :thumb:
Fin keel, standard rig.

Rick Roberts

Here's a photo of the new anchoring setup before splashing
Fin keel, standard rig.

Jon W

I added a rode counter when I installed my windlass as well. Instead of at the helm, I mounted it under the aft lazarette seat because I got the sense it wasn't to get wet. I have to open the seat to see it, but no big deal.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

Rick Roberts

Fin keel, standard rig.

Jon W

No it isn't waterproof.

The Tech Specification in the manual says IP rating is "IP65 from the front provided the unit is mounted so the back is protected from moisture".

Scrolling down in the manual to the Console unit installation section it says, "The console should be mounted where it is protected from the elements. The AA150 is splash proof and should not be placed in a position where it is likely to be immersed in water". Splash proof is more IP63 or IP64 than IP65.

Once it said splash proof, I decided to put it in a more protected spot.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

crieders

very impressive work
I wan to install a windless in my boat and I am somewhat intimidated by what I have read
Seems like there are a few different approaches.
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Bill Shreeves

Quote from: Jon W on January 25, 2019, 01:16:34 PM
I added a rode counter when I installed my windlass as well. Instead of at the helm, I mounted it under the aft lazarette seat because I got the sense it wasn't to get wet. I have to open the seat to see it, but no big deal.

Jon,
Is that a propane locker on the starboard side of the lazarette?  I'm not happy with the home-made one I inherited.
The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner...

Bill Shreeves
s/v "Begnnings" 1987 Shoal Draft #333
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

Jon W

Hi Bill, yes it is a propane locker. The boat came with a 2.5 gal propane tank that couldn't be refilled due to age, and the locker sat in the middle of the locker opening. It was too small of a tank in my opinion, and the locker blocked access to any useful space in the aft lazarette. I wanted to relocate it and increase the amount of propane. I decided to make my own after looking at what was available and the cost. I now have an 11 lb low profile tank and a 5 gal tank in the locker. In the photo you can see the two tanks, solenoid, gauge/regulator, and locker vent. The 11lb tank is for the galley stove, the smaller 5 lb tank is for the BBQ.

There's a write up in the Tech WIKI that I just updated. I don't think the revised version will be available until tonight or tomorrow when the WIKI refreshes. The only change is showing a check valve in the overboard vent to stop sea water occassionally backing up through the transom thru hull into the locker.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca