Removing engine covers - Mk 2

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross Fisher

How do others remove the front and top covers from the engine compartment of the Mark 2 C34?
The front panel of my boat will not allow removal unless I remove the Rear Cabin door panel. It is a PITA!
There has to be an easier way.
I do not know how to remove the top cover.
Any and all tips or suggestions will be absolutely welcomed.

Happy New year!!!!
Ross
Ross Fisher
# 1486  "Avventura"                            
2000 Catalina Mk11 Wing Keel
M35B
Melbourne, Australia

Breakin Away

Ditto for me, I've always had the same problem. There must be some piece of the puzzle that we're missing.

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Roc

For the panel that is behind the companionway steps (panel that has the swing out door to access front of engine), there are screws along both sides.   Take those out and the panel will come out.  You may need to take one side out first then coax the other side.  Mine is a tight fit and it doesn't just pull out straight.  With that front panel out, and the hinged cover below the top steps opened up, you get good access to just about the whole front, top and sides of the engine.  In the aft cabin, the panel that sits below the hinged cover can come out.  You will need to look inside at the braces and take out the screws holding the panel.  There are screws that hold the brace to the fiberglass and screws that hold the panel.  What I did was put screws with finish washers right through the panel front into the braces behind.  This is on both sides of the panel. Yes, you see the screws, whereas originally, they are hidden behind.  But it's much easier now to take the panel off to get good access to the rear of the engine.  Also, the screws with finish washers are no different than many other interior wood fixtures throughout the boat.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Breakin Away

It's been over a year since I tried to remove the front panel, but IIRC the door molding for the aft berth (to starboard) and the corner molding on the head (to port) made it impossible to get the panel out. I tried to lift it up where there might be more room to angle it out, but the ledge on the top shelf over the engine protrudes too far out toward the door molding to allow for this. (see picture) I seemed to be stuck all around unless I removed the top shelf, but it wasn't clear how to access all the screws needed to remove that.

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Ross Fisher

I also wrestled with this issue for years, but had too much interference and just couldn't get it past the mouldings, Last week I approached my trusty cabinet maker who planed 1/6th inch from both sides, sealed it, and all is A OK. Best bottle of red wine I've spent!!
Ross Fisher
# 1486  "Avventura"                            
2000 Catalina Mk11 Wing Keel
M35B
Melbourne, Australia

Roc

The 3 screws in your picture, remove them along with the ones on the other side.  I know the moldings get in the way, but I take one side (left or right) first, keeping the other side stationary.  Once one side passes the molding, then the whole panel can come out.  I never did this, but maybe in your case you may.  Once you get it out, you may want to sand one side to reduce the width of the panel, so next time, it's easier to remove.  I've taken this off a number of times.  Agree, it doesn't just pull out, but if you angle one side first, then the other, it can be removed.  Don't tilt the top forward, just pull one side first (you may want to slide it towards the side that's stationary, in order to clear the molding), then pull the other side out.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD