cabin side windows

Previous topic - Next topic

lucky

need to replace cabin windows.would like advice on where to get them and how to replace them.will plexi glass work?
Al Landry
C34 hull#13
Lake Texoma,Tx
THANKS

Noah

Yes, plexiglas, acrylic is correct material. Lots written here on this forum. Search "fixed ports" "window replacement",   "Dow 795", to name a few. There is even a Catalina factory window replacement  instruction sheet on our site.  I would remove old ones and trace/use as a pattern and take to a local plastics manuacturer to cut. They need a bevel on the edge. I believe someone also ordered them from the Catalina factory in FL.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jon W

For what it's worth -

A website called "Boatworks Today" recommends using 3M double sided VHB tape. VHB stands for Very High Bonding. Press the new portlight onto the VHB, then use Dow 795 to seal the edges of the portlight.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Noah

Here is the video Jon referenced.
https://youtu.be/MQyjxVUskd8
It may be a bit trickier to use this VHB tape technique with our big windows, as getting them into position on first try before it grabs could be a challenge?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

I believe that if you search the forum (the C34 main page google search box) you find posts by becki -  did hers and ordered the plexi from a local shop.
I had posted the CTY fixzit instructions on the wiki site.

-k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

lucky

Thanks for the help
Time to get to work
Lucky Hull#13
Al Landry

rmbrown

I tried the tape option and that stuff is pretty awesome,  but it comes in a bunch of thicknesses and if it's too thin,  it won't work.  Both the plastic and the fiberglass are beveled and, on my 1.5 at least,  the plexiglas will connect the edge before it will sit flat on the lip.  I don't have mine handy but I tried it single and double thickness.   I'll see if I can lay hands on it tomorrow.
Mike Brown
1993 C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel Mk 1.5
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC