Smart Gauge error message problem

Previous topic - Next topic

Noah

Having an issue with my Smart Gauge. Have two Error messages displayed: "04" and "Lo". Regardless of what happened to cause this, I can't figure out how to clear errors, without doing a factory reset—which involves removing Smart Gauge from my panel, disconnecting power to it and reprogramming. Will not display SOC with error message "uncleared". Bad/complicated instruction manual (for me anyway). My ProNautic 1240 P Battery charger seems fine and voltages displayed on my distribution panel's multimeter and Smart Gauge displays seem OK. Although the two slightly differ.  I am going to test batts cells with a hydrometer later this week before I do anything, but doubt it is a battery cell issue. Errors still on display for 4 days now. Does anyone have a suggestion before I call Balmer tech support?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jon W

Hi Noah,
It was quite a while ago, but I had the 04 error on my SmartGauge too. I believe I disconnected then reconnected the 3A fuse at the house bank and the reserve battery. It's been fine since.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Noah

Thx, Jon. I will explore that solution (hopefully) tomorrow. Did you have to reprogram afterwards?
Standard Rig

Jon W

I think it reset back to default settings, so I would have reprogrammed it. Fortunately I had written the changes I made in the manual so it was pretty quick.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

Noah

Dang! Alan (Dr. Electric, now retired) originally programed mine, but I will give it a go myself if required. However, I may send up a flare for help your way (offline) for a copy of those numbers, if you still have them. You are much more organized than me! :cry4` 8) Thx,  my friend.
BTW-my boat is currently "torn apart" as I am installing an anchor wash down pump/system. Show and tell later.
Standard Rig

Jon W

Be glad to help. I'll go to my boat tomorrow to find the info to have on hand.

I'd like to come by and see the washdown system when you're ready. Let me know when.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

Paulus

Jon, could you post your info.  My smart gauge shows an error of 03. I replaced my solar panel controller with a genasun GV-10.  I think it is trying to equalize my batteries, but not enough sun shine here in Michigan.  Appreciate your thoughts.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Jon W

For reference I have 4 T105 Trojan (225Ah each) lead acid golf cart batteries for my house bank, and 1 maintenance free Group 24 (80Ah; 650 CCA's) lead acid for my reserve battery. If you do not have lead acid batteries my settings will not apply.

I have the following settings in my Smartgauge

DISPLAY MODES                                                  SETTING
SECTION 4.2 SET UP MODE – BATTERY TYPE                                             1

SECTION 4.4 SET UP MODE – ALARM FUNCTIONS                                     
                                           Primary Alarm                                            PA U
                                           Lo                                                             11.8
                                           Hi                                                             14.8
                                           Secondary Alarm                                          O

SECTION 4.5 SET UP MODE – DEFEATING ERROR CODES                            1

SECTION 4.6 SET UP MODE – DISPLAY BEHAVIOR                                     DT T

SECTION 4.7 SET UP MODE – DISPLAY BRIGHTNESS                                 DB 4
                                            ACCESS TO SET UP MENU                           LOC 0
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca