Spinnaker track

Previous topic - Next topic

rappareems

I am going to be installing a mast track to be able to move my whisker pole bail.  I am thinking about 1 & 1/2 inch wide by app. 6' long.  I will check with my local spar shop but does anyone have suggestions.  We sail main and jib...

Mark
Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Lake Ontario

Mert Gollaher

Mark,

I installed a 1.25" x 6' track a couple of years ago for my whisker pole.  I don't see the need for 1.5" track.  I purchased the track from Garhauer and had them make me a ring car for it as well.  Very solid work and way less expensive than anyone else.  I went with 6' for a few reasons: 1) I wasn't planning on storing my pole on the mast (if you planning to store it on the mast, it will be much easier to install a much longer track to allow you to slide the mast end of the pole up the mast while affixed to the car and then secure the outboard end to the base of the mast or a chock on deck right in front of the mast); 2) 6' more than covered the range of sails I expected to pole out (you'll want the pole in a horizontal position when in use, so consider how high your various headsail clews are); and 3) I installed it myself when the mast was stepped so I wanted to limit the number of tappings and the height of the work.  Since then, I've decided I do, in fact, want to store the pole on the mast, so I am regretting that I didn't install a longer track originally.  Instead, I flip the usual process and lower the car with the inboard end of the pole attached and then swing the outboard end up to a mast ring I installed up the mast.  The process is cumbersome and even using the topping lift to guide the end, this is tough and not viable in any significant seas.  I don't recommend it, and it is only a stopgap measure for me.  I will change to a longer track when I next pull the stick.  Hope that helps.

Mert
Mert Gollaher
Avalon Sunset
1987 C34 #405
Tall / Fin
GYC, Guilford, CT

rappareems

Thanks Mert, I went with the 1 1/4"; 6' track.  I didn't think of Garhauer... I have a lot of their gear on the boat.  Went with Schafer from MauriPro Sailing out of Texas... $97.  bought hardware locally.
Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Lake Ontario

Stucker

Do you think it's easier to tap the mast and install the  track with the mast up or down on saw horses?

Quote from: Mert Gollaher on May 31, 2010, 02:04:50 PM
Mark,

I installed a 1.25" x 6' track a couple of years ago for my whisker pole.  I don't see the need for 1.5" track.  I purchased the track from Garhauer and had them make me a ring car for it as well.  Very solid work and way less expensive than anyone else.  I went with 6' for a few reasons: 1) I wasn't planning on storing my pole on the mast (if you planning to store it on the mast, it will be much easier to install a much longer track to allow you to slide the mast end of the pole up the mast while affixed to the car and then secure the outboard end to the base of the mast or a chock on deck right in front of the mast); 2) 6' more than covered the range of sails I expected to pole out (you'll want the pole in a horizontal position when in use, so consider how high your various headsail clews are); and 3) I installed it myself when the mast was stepped so I wanted to limit the number of tappings and the height of the work.  Since then, I've decided I do, in fact, want to store the pole on the mast, so I am regretting that I didn't install a longer track originally.  Instead, I flip the usual process and lower the car with the inboard end of the pole attached and then swing the outboard end up to a mast ring I installed up the mast.  The process is cumbersome and even using the topping lift to guide the end, this is tough and not viable in any significant seas.  I don't recommend it, and it is only a stopgap measure for me.  I will change to a longer track when I next pull the stick.  Hope that helps.

Mert
Scott Tucker
2003 C34 MK II
Hull #1654
Toronto/1000 Islands