Loose spreader

Previous topic - Next topic

Sitka Sailor

I have a 1987 C34 and I recently noticed that one of my spreaders is quite loose (wiggles fore and aft).  Both pins are still in place where the spreader mounts to the mast.  Has anyone addressed this issue before?  Is this still safe to sail?

Stu Jackson

A friend wrote me last year about a line they got stuck in their spreader base.  This is my reply:

Yes, they do move some.  This is a post I found on the Forum when I typed in "spreader" in the search box ---

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3633.0.html

There is a photo in reply #8.  It seems from that photo that there is a small space up there that may have caught your lazy jack line.  The other posts on that thread explain how it all works.  Because you said you were in a hurry I didn't read through the rest of the four pages of results on this search.  You may choose to do so.

Because the spreaders are in compression when "loaded" I don't think you'll have a problem (i.e., when you are on a starboard tack going upwind, the starboard spreader is the "loaded" one and is in compression, the port one is essentially doing nothing).  All you will be doing is "squashing" the line, and it may actually come out if it's on the "downhill" side.  Have you tried loosening the shroud on the side that has the line and wiggling the spreader to see if you can get the line out, or is it cut and caught way up there?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Gregory M

You probably lost one of wedges, they go between spreader end and mast surface.  Since mast surface is curved and the end of spreader is straight, wedges are curved on one side and straight on the other, to give even compresion on touching point. Catalina Direct sells them. https://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/1953_774/spreader-base-castingsbrc-34-c-36.cfm
Gregory, "Luna Rossa", #1063, 1990, T.Rig Mk 1.5, fin keel. Universal M 35,  Rocna 15,
Penetanguishene ON.

David Sanner

I had cracked base which, along with decades of wear, the two holes on one side had widened.  The fix was a set of new bases and drilling a larger hole through the spreaders and spreader bars and installing oversized pins.  It was an easy job w/ the mast on the dock... probably doable without pulling the mast but if unsure check with a rigger.

As far as safe to sail... it's hard to say ... all depends on how loose and sea/wind conditions (always expect the worst).

My repair stiffened things up considerably, a good feeling, especially pushing through steep waves.  I'd recommend doing the repair sooner than later.

David Sanner, #611 1988, "Queimada" San Francisco Bay