Catalina 315 as a replacement to 34?

Previous topic - Next topic

dogwatch

We lost our 34MKII to Michael.  Has anyone been aboard/sailed a 315 that can offer a comparison? It seems from what i can see online that they have been able to get a lot of capability in a shorter length.

thanks is advance!

Ron Hill

dog : I believe that the C34 replacement leans more toward a C355.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Fred Koehlmann

Agree, C34 -> C355, whereas the C315 is really a C30.
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

dogwatch

Thanks for the comments - i understand - I think i should have said  "alternative" vs "replacement".  Another thing to consider for us is that the 355 won't do the bridges around here.  Thanks again for the input.

Roc

Catalina has been around the block with boats in the 30ft range.  They had the 310, 309, 315 and probably others that I can't think of since there were so many.  But they're all C30's and from actually sailing on them, they are pretty much the same.  Not sure why Catalina keeps doing this, but it makes it seem that they don't really have any plans moving forward. They take the same boat and then call it something else.  From what I notice, they are all nice boats and sail well with solid Catalina quality.  But yes, they are all 30ft boats for all intents and purposes.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Roc on November 30, 2018, 07:13:02 AM
Catalina has been around the block with boats in the 30ft range.  They had the 310, 309, 315 and probably others that I can't think of since there were so many.  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>But yes, they are all 30ft boats for all intents and purposes.

Catalina started with the venerable C30 and made around 6,200 of them.  They made "only" :D 1,800 C34s.  The C30 had Mark I, II and III versions.  The original tiller boats gave way to T shaped cockpits with wheels.

The C309 was the first replacement of the C30 and was pretty much the same boat with modified fittings down below, and appeared to be designed to a price point.  I do not know if they changed the hull shape.

IIRC, the C310 used the same hull as the C309 but with a completely different layout down below and was specifically designed to be a cruiser for a couple.

The newest C315 incorporated the design features of the "5" Series of boats with the same layout down below as the original C30 and C309.

After the end of the C30s they switched engines from Universals to Yanmars.  The original C30s had a mix of the old gas Atomic 4, and raw water cooled then fresh water cooled Universals.

In my mind, there was a continuity of thought and design refinements that made sense.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Roc

I'm sure Stu's layout is accurate, but I'm thinking the 309 came after the 310.  Reason why, I know a couple that bought a 310 the same time as we bought our C34 (year 2000).  It was after that I noticed the 310 to disappear, replaced by the 309, which seemed like a similar boat in many respects, but the name sounded like a "smaller" boat (30ft vs "31").  The 310 was a model in the same mix as the 320, 380 and other "0" boats...
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

MikeBiggers

Quote from: dogwatch on November 29, 2018, 12:15:46 PM
We lost our 34MKII to Michael.  Has anyone been aboard/sailed a 315 that can offer a comparison? It seems from what i can see online that they have been able to get a lot of capability in a shorter length.

thanks is advance!
Hi, I think Catalina 42 s is good too https://2yachts.com/boat/18283-catalina-42-s. I have some experience with this boat. But Catalina 42 s is on couple meters longer