steering wheel removed

Previous topic - Next topic

anaisdog

i came to my boat, at her winter storage, to find the steering wheel removed.  i don't know by whom or what. pictures (3) at https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10215801050431617&set=pcb.10215801052151660&type=3&theater.  i found the wheel, the screw cover, and a metal "key" on the cockpit floor.  there seems to be two slots for the key on the stem, where do i put it?

thanks

becki kain
Hull #99, c34, 1986, Detroit Yacht Club

Gregory M

square metal piece (key) in to shaft grove, (esiest when grove is facing sky), then slide wheel (wheel grove pointing down). make sure that back of the hub is rested/touching, "C" clip on the shaft firmly, then, screw nut on to shaft.
Gregory, "Luna Rossa", #1063, 1990, T.Rig Mk 1.5, fin keel. Universal M 35,  Rocna 15,
Penetanguishene ON.

Ron Hill

Becki :Easy to reinstall.  After you get the wheel back on you might start investigating - "WHY" was it taken off ???

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Hardesty

Quotethere seems to be two slots for the key on the stem, where do i put it?

Don't know why it fell off.  The 2 slots, check if only one fits the key, if both do, center the rudder and use the one that sets the wheel with one spoke verticle, or what way you like the wheel. 
I use a dab of old fashoned pipe joint compound on the threads.  The nut stays snug without having to tighten much and comes right off if necessary.
Hope that helped.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Phil Spicer

I'm still wondering who removed the wheel?
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

anaisdog

no idea what happened and there are no cameras.  i'll try to put it back on friday when i'm there and bring some tape.  thanks
Hull #99, c34, 1986, Detroit Yacht Club

fatamorgana

I just made it back to my boat after the winter and the same thing happened to me.  I know no one was on the boat as there are no foot prints or anything in the snow.  I can only assume that somehow the cover with the weight of the snow must have put pressure on the wheel.  I really don't understand how this could have happened, but there must have been some sort of alignment of forces that worked just right to do this. 
1988 C34 wing keel, standard rig

Ron Hill

fatam : If you really believe that some snow could cause your wheel to "come off" - I've got a bridge I'll sell you!!

My thought
Ron, Apache #788