Bow-sprit installation

Previous topic - Next topic

andre

Hello guys, I want to buy a sail Code0 and I need to install a bow-sprit. Is there anybody has made that project on his c34. Thank you.
L'Apache hull#1377  1997 Quebec Canada universal 35bc

Jim Hardesty

Andre,
I've only thought about it.  If you haven't already, check out.
https://catalinayachtsstore.com
Also search this site, some have beefed-up the anchor roller, some have done much more.

Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

dfloeter

Here is one option I found this year.  A Chicago to Mackinac Solo Challenge competitor mounted a Selden pole on a Catalina 36.  It does block the anchor locker but I figured it could be lashed to the lifelines or tucked below.   
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
1996 Catalina 34 TR WK #1317
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

andre

dfloeter

Maybe this time?  At 86kb, this image should load.   I saved it before without the .jpg.   I should know better. :D
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

Gregory M

of the topic,.... Dietrich, something dose not add up here in your profile "1996 Catalina 34 TR WK #1317" ? :shock:
Gregory, "Luna Rossa", #1063, 1990, T.Rig Mk 1.5, fin keel. Universal M 35,  Rocna 15,
Penetanguishene ON.

KWKloeber

Andre

A fellow C-30-er installed a top-down furler and retractable sprit for his gennaker.  I've seen it and it's a real quality job, that's just what he does.
He wanted to start fabricating them for others, but is tied up for right now with life things.

He said he could do one in the spring if you are interested -- or can publish his instructions/materials list if that helps?

-Ken K
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

dfloeter

Hi Greg,   Well, the HIN reads CTYP1317E696 and this makes me wonder.   Is this hull number not in the right place?   
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

andre

Hi Ken it would be interesting to see the instruction and materials for the retractable bow-sprit. I would like to try to make the project myself if possible. Thank you.

Roc

I made a permanently mounted bow-sprit.  Bolted on the stem head.  Picture is WIP shot, and the other has the anchor in the way, but I think you can get the gist.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

KWKloeber

Quote from: andre on November 30, 2018, 04:25:26 AM
Hi Ken it would be interesting to see the instruction and materials for the retractable bow-sprit. I would like to try to make the project myself if possible. Thank you.

Andre I'll PM you Ed's contact info - give him a shout.

-k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

andre

Nice installation Roc. I want something like that not too big but strong enough

andre

Hi Roc if you have more pictures if possible I don't see what kind of material. Is it just a flat plate or an angle plate and where did you fix that. It's really good and not too big

Wayne

I did a permanent sprit for my code 0; had it fabricated in SS.  Basically SS tubing, its foot (aft) bolted down to the deck in front of the anchor locker, mid point bolted to the anchor roller.  A bobstay (big turnbuckle) going from the bottom of the anchor roller down to the bottom bolt of the stemhead fitting.  For a code 0 I think the bobstay is really important--the loads become pretty amazing.
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca

Jim Hardesty

Wayne,
Your description sounds like something I'd like to add.  I would much appreciate if you could post some pictures.  No rush, will be months before we can do any yard work around here.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA