Sails

Previous topic - Next topic

saltygirl

Good evening!  We are looking to purchase new sails for our 1998 MKII.  Doyle(super cruise) and Rolly Tasker(Marblehead) are similarly priced.  Not sure which one is better.  Thoughts?  Thanks in advance⛵

Greg and Celeste Ray
Celeste and Greg Ray

Mark Sutherland

I had RT's on my '86 and liked them a lot.
Dunrobin II, 1986 C34 MK1 #170

sselinger

Don't know RT. I feel that unless you are into ultimate racing sails, most sail makers make good sails. I would advise looking at who will provide better service and followup over the coming years. I have seen more differences between makers on this issue then on the performance of their sails.
Steve Selinger
Aquila #1047

saltygirl

Thank you for the feedback!  We were at the 2018 Annapolis sailboat show.  Rolly Tasker seemed to be the most helpful.
Celeste and Greg Ray

Jim Hardesty

My two cents.  Look to your local sail maker first.  Ask local sailors, if a local loft has a good reputation give them a good look.  Sails will need maintenance.  Best to buy from the loft that you will want to fix them.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Greg : I went out to 5 different sail makers.  Gave them my specs and got their bids.
Right now is the end of the season and sail makes want to stay busy during the winter months - look for the discounts telling them you don't need the sails until spring.

Jim had a good thought - that local is usually easier and more convenient.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Scott Hibbs

Jim is spot on. Local, if at all possible. I replaced sails 2 years ago....best "investment" I have made. Quantum was my choice, due to a local loft and local staff.  Several minor adjustments were needed, not sure how this would be handled from a distance. Yes, we have specs....but they are still individually made. 
Scott Hibbs
"Escape Hatch"
2004 MK II, #1679, M-35B
Northport, MI

Noah

Hybrid approach. I bought Ullman Sails (US). Same sails offered by Catalina Direct online, however, I  went through my local Ullman Sails loft —who came to my boat, measured and when finished delivered installed. Very happy with product, service and price.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Susan Ray

Aloha,
Are you selling your old sails? I am looking for a standard rig Main ....in fair to good condition for practically nothing  :shock:$!! or at least a good low price. It can need repair or be ugly...just need one.
Please let me know.Thanks, Susan
Aloha, Susan on "Stray" in the Ala Wai Harbor, Honolulu Hawaii

balegle

I have a standard main rigged for Dutchman.  Fair to good condition.  Sell for $500 plus shipping.  Reply to balegle@cox.net if still interested.