Join the C34 Association Today!
[C34 Home] [C34Tech Notes] [C34 Tech Wiki] [Join!]
Please login or register.
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Maxwell VW800  (Read 269 times)

Luana

• Forum - Seaman Apprentice
    • View Profile
Maxwell VW800
« on: November 21, 2018, 11:20:44 AM »

I have two issues that I am seeking advice on and  have decided to keep the issues separate so the threads aren't confusing.

This past summer after purchasing our (2004) Catalina 34 Mk II (hull # 1677)  I waded into the pool of knowledge of the Catalina group and hope I can once again glean some helpful information.

Our Maxwell VW800 windlass has never been overhauled or opened according to the former owner. That follows along the lines of: if it ain't broken, don't fix it. It hasn't caused any grief however, I want to remove it from the boat to clean it, change oil etc. soon after I receive the seal kit for the gear box from Maxwell manufacture.  I was informed by Will Vrooman that parts are still available for this particular model.

I am wondering if anyone has done this job before and might offer some advice over and above the owner’s manual. Any hint on dismantling the bulkhead in the V – berth to access the windlass would also be useful.  It looks as if the teak ledges need to be removed in order to get at the bulkhead. Thanks.
Rod
Graylin  #1677

Ron Hill

• Forum - Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy
    • View Profile
Re: Maxwell VW800
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 01:52:47 PM »

Luana : Did you ask Will Vrooman  -"How many hours use before rebuild/oil change?"

Unless you do "one hell of a lot of anchoring" - I'd just keep it clean and do exterior servicing according to the manufacturer recommendation! - unless you see an oil leak

A thought
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 02:10:25 PM by Ron Hill »
Ron, Apache #788

John Langford

• Forum - Petty Officer 1st Class
    • View Profile
Re: Maxwell VW800
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 07:42:04 PM »

I have the VW 500 in an earlier (1999) mkII. Because it is installed horizontally, I couldn’t check the oil using the viewing window on the body of the motor. So I felt the need to check and replace the oil about 10 years ago. I did have to remove one ledge and trim to take out the wooden bulkhead. Even though I had anchored out almost every night, averaging 50 plus nights on the hook each summer, the oil was fine. I don’t recall needing a new seal kit to reassemble the unit. As Ron recommends, I don’t intend to try to change the oil again unless I hear strange noises coming from the windlass or see evidence
of a leak. But I do take apart the drum and gypsy each year and grease the shaft.
Cheers
John
"Calypso"
MkII, #1431
Pages: [1]   Go Up