Join the C34 Association Today!
[C34 Home] [C34Tech Notes] [C34 Tech Wiki] [Join!]
Please login or register.
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Transmission replacement  (Read 1122 times)

Jon W

• Administrator
  • Forum - Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
Re: Transmission replacement
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2019, 05:52:05 PM »

Sorry I should have been more clear, I was asking about the fuel tank leak.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, Manson Supreme 35
San Diego, Ca

kh3412

• Forum - Petty Officer 2nd Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2019, 06:19:47 PM »

Will know more when tank is out. Don't think it's the hose as all new two years ago.
1987 mk1 a work in progress #618

kh3412

• Forum - Petty Officer 2nd Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2019, 03:22:02 PM »

Ok little update. Fuel tank out, leaks at seam :cry4`. New tank being made, not worth trying to fix when a new tank can be had for so little. Tank leak softened the sealant for the tru-hulls in the head sink cabinet. So thru-hulls removed and seacocks installed. Made the epoxy bed for the strut, was easier than I had imagined. Removed old strut and prepared the surface for epoxy. Drilled and tapped holes in each corner for 5/16 bolts. installed nylon 5/16 bolts in each corner of strut. Hang strut from 3/8 rods through existing holes. Install 1 inch dummy shaft in strut with extra cutlass bearing in shaft log, this is to ensure shaft is centered in shaft log. Now tighten 3/8 threaded rod while turning shaft. Use the nylon bolts to maintain the position of the strut. When shaft is alined ensure nylon bolts are snug and remove 3/8 nuts a few inches to allow you room to apply thickened epoxy on strut (pva, wax on strut face), tighten the 3/8 rods till the nylon bolts contact the hull. This gets you in the ballpark a slight adjustment while spinning the shaft. Let dry.
When set, removed the threaded rods and supporting the strut so it won't fall run the nylon bolts in slowly pushing the strut from the hull. You are left with a bed for your strut. I thought this would be the hardest job but was not bad. Now for the leaks guess i should start a new tread for that.
1987 mk1 a work in progress #618
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up