Leaking bolt on genoa track

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil Spicer

Found a wet spot on the shower seat about the time I pulled the boat. Forgot about it until a storm last week and shower seat was wet again. I'm thinking wet core, I will have a real mess. Pulled the bolt and
Found the deck to be solid glass under the track.  Wonderful, no wet core to deal with. Sealed the bolt with
Butyl tape ( thank you Maine Sail) ,now wait for rain, or I could wash the deck.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Ron Hill

Phil : Years ago when I first got the boat, I and a friend & I check the tightness on each of those genoa track bolts.  It takes two people, one on the deck and one below. 
The person on the deck needs a #3 Phillips SQUARE shank screwdriver and a crescent wrench.  He/she pushes down on the screwdriver holding the wrench on the shank so it cannot turn, while the person below checks the tightness with a socket.

This also works to check the tightness of the stanchion bolts.   :thumb:

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Phil Don't forget the gold standard is to remove the track and epoxy-pot and countersink the thru-holes before applying butyl.  That goes also for all thru-holes/thru-fasteners on the deck/comings.  For track flatheads, I picked up a 3/8" drive socket x Phillips bit so that I can put virtually all my effort downward.

I find that I can hold the head more securely/easily cuz I'm not negotiating two tools (which I used before the socket.)  They come w/ #2, #3, or #4 Phillips (I found that #4 was the best fit.)
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Noah

And don't forget a foam pad for your knees.  8)
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Phil Spicer

Thanks gentlemen. Have the Phillips sockets, and I'm never without
Knee pads, soft pads for the deck.
  May not get to removing the track until later this summer unless my
Repair isn't good.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.