New sails

Previous topic - Next topic

saltygirl

Has anyone ever purchased new sails from Somerset Sails located in NY. Thank you.
Celeste and Greg Ray

NewToTheRoad

No but I found them on a recent google search as they were selling pretty cheap on eBay.  Started following on Facebook and searched reviews online.  Couldn't find anything negative, so I am still considering.

FYI - FX Sails is doing 15% off until Nov 15.  They are the least expensive I have found IF price is your main consideration.  I have read good things about them on this forum and others.  For a few hundred more I find National to be a great choice too.  When neither are running a sale they are pretty close in price.  I plan on purchasing a new main and genoa soon.

Bryan
Lori & Bryan
1988 C34, M25XP, Std Rig, Fin Keel - Hull # 697
Portsmouth, RI

saltygirl

Debating between Somerset Sails and Rolly Tasker. Somerset is much cheaper and it sounds like they use the same materials.
Celeste and Greg Ray

Jim Hardesty

I'm reluctant to bad mouth a business that I have not done business with.  Having said that, did want to say this.
My dock neighbor purchased sails from Sumerset sails in New York state, east of Buffalo, for his Endearvour 42.  Just want to be talking about the same loft. He was very unhappy with both the delivery time and the quality.  The sails were bought and paid for in the fall and weren't ready in the spring.  The sails needed to be reworked, again delivery was a problem.  He has lost battens while underway (Velcro flap failed to hold them in) and he is not pleased with the sails for several other reasons that I don't remember. 
This isn't exactly hear/say.  He is a very experienced sailor and we sail together often.  This season we buddy boated from the North Channel, over 600 miles. I trust his judgment. 
Others may be happy with their work.
Jim

Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Roland Gendreau

I purchased a main from Somerset Sails a few years ago and a jib from them at least 10  years ago. I have been happy with the fit and performance of the sails and have had no issue with their construction.   When I purchased the main, their price was slightly more than others; but when they offered to  set up the main with a dutchman system and gave me some trade in credit for my old main, it sealed the deal. If you have other questions, you can email me directly rgendreau1@cox.net

Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI