arm on a 1986 vberth hatch

Previous topic - Next topic

anaisdog

i broke off the white headed screw top (with set screw) of my molded in, white vberth hatch.  anyone know what brand it is so i can buy a new part?  thanks
(1986 hull #99)
Hull #99, c34, 1986, Detroit Yacht Club

Ron Hill

amais : You are going to have to find another "1986" and then match with a duplicate set screw!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

anaisdog

let me guess, something catalina did wasn't standard????

Noah

Post a photo of hatch and handle please.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

anaisdog

i will, with a measuring tape next to it, when i'm there tuesday

busy times in detroit for boat storage and boat work. darn job keeps getting in my way.

Stu Jackson

Quote from: anaisdog on October 14, 2018, 08:02:46 AM
i broke off the white headed screw top (with set screw) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If you're talking about the plastic handle, one of two, that tightens the hatch in the (full &) upright position :D, mine disintegrated years ago.  I replaced them both with wing nuts.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Sue Clancy

Sue and Brian Clancy
Former owners - 1987 C34 Mk I #272
Home Port - Westbrook, CT

anaisdog

that's exactly it!  i just need the plastic bit but i guess you can't just replace that?

Stu, is that plastic thing with the metal screw what you replaced with wing nuts?

Stu Jackson

Quote from: anaisdog on October 18, 2018, 06:19:35 AM
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Stu, is that plastic thing with the metal screw what you replaced with wing nuts?

Yes, the black "knob" --- and also the two other ones that dog the hatch closed.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

anaisdog

I'll see if i can.  the metal piece might be too broken off.  thanks

csimmerling

my PO had replaced this with a wing nut, which I was finding hard to tighten since the "wings" were small. I bought a "clamping knob" that was a perfect replacement on my 1986. It's stainless and much easier to turn. It also has the advantage of being round, so it doesn't hurt when I bump my head into it! That had caused a lot of pain a few times when I was working in the vberth area.
I got mine on Amazon - search there or elsewhere. The item is JW Winco Stainless Steel 303 Round Clamping Tapped Knob, Knurled, Threaded Through Hole, 5/16"-18 Thread Size x 1" Thread Depth, 1-1/2" Head Diameter
"Natterling", #148 1986 mk 1 fin keel std rig, Port Jefferson, NY

anaisdog

WOW!  perfect!  and cheaper than the whole assembly.  I'll measure to confirm that will work

too bad i couldn't find my "blue pop" on amazon too!

Ekutney

I replaced the entire arm because it was getting sloppy.  I still have the old arm if interested.  Just pay shipping from MD.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

anaisdog

thanks.  what do you mean, sloppy? like not holding?

i have a special bond with this one - i opened the hatch fully open, one day, so the arm was disconnected of itself and then forgot, and fell down the vberth hatch.  i didn't know if i speared myself with the metal, severing my femoral artery.  mildly amusing.

Ekutney

The arm holds fine but I got a great deal on a new arm (round vs flat) & I was able to make it fit.  The old arm would allow the hatch to be entirely wide open because the two pieces came apart.  The new arm does not come completely apart which is preferred for me.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke