Winter and shroud

Previous topic - Next topic

andre

Do you slack your shroud for the winter.. The temperature goes at -30 celcius often. Thank you
L'Apache hull#1377  1997 Quebec Canada universal 35bc

Jim Hardesty

I take most of the tension from the backstay.  The side and cap shroud stay as set.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

KWKloeber

Andre

It happens naturally. The coefficient of thermal expansion is about 2x for the aluminum mast compared to stainless.

-k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

andre

Ok thank you guys. I don't touch nothing
L'Apache hull#1377  1997 Quebec Canada universal 35bc

patrice

Hi Andre,

I never touch them.
As mention, the mast length will retract more than the stays.
The tension will decrease naturally as the temp will go down.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Ron Hill

Andre : I left mine "as is" for 25 + years and some of our temps got to a -5/10F.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Indian Falls

On this subject I'd like to point out that the shrinkage of the hull at temps down to 0F are enough to pull out all the screws in the Eyebrows I put back on in 90F summer temps.  I drilled and filled all the holes, used teeny bit larger screws and put my teak eyebrows on the boat during a nice hot week in the high 80's to 90F.
Over the winter the eyebrows pulled most of the screws out mid Eyebrow.  My plan is to do this again when temps are about 48degrees.  Any thoughts??
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

Noah

WOW! He said with raised eyebrows... :shock:
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig