Hot water tank mystery 2003 MKII??

Previous topic - Next topic

Stucker

Any plumbing wizards out there that can tell me why my hot water tank starts dumping water out of the indicated hose when I try and charge the water system?  Its a steady stream out of the rear valve/black hose. Any help would be appreciated.  I'm really dumb with this stiff.  Pics attached.
Scott
Scott Tucker
2003 C34 MK II
Hull #1654
Toronto/1000 Islands

Ken Juul

hard to tell from the pictures, but that looks like your over pressure relief valve.  They sometimes fail in the open position.  Take off the drain hose, unscrew and replace with new one.  Should be available at any good hardware/plumbing store.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Jim Hardesty

QuoteIts a steady stream out of the rear valve/black hose

Ken's probably right.  But, can't tell from picture but the relief valve may be tripped open.  See if you can move the little lever.  That may stop or at least reduce the stream to a trickel.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

KWKloeber

Scott it doesn't look like the relief valve lever is in the open position, but those valves do fail. It may be weak enough that any pressure will bypass it. 

ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Scott : it has been my experience that if a pressure relief valve is opened ( over heat or manually) to just go ahead and replace it.

As Mentioned look in some hardware stores for a new one.  You might have to hunt as you want a new PR Valve with a short inner probe.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Stucker

Scott Tucker
2003 C34 MK II
Hull #1654
Toronto/1000 Islands