Anchor saver

Previous topic - Next topic

andre

Is there anybody has a anchor saver to retrieve the anchor when she'is under a big rock. I lost an anchor in 40 feet of water and I hope that is my last time. https://youtu.be/4F5Xq15sGuc
L'Apache hull#1377  1997 Quebec Canada universal 35bc

Ron Hill

Haven't used it , but it looks good!!
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

I am skeptical. For one thing, it says on their website QUOTE:  "NOTE; Anchor SaverĀ® is not intended for use on Sail Boats". Really! What does the type of boat have to do with anything..?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jon W

For what it's worth-

A boat neighbor at the marina told me he got tired of anchor fouling. He now puts a shackle on his anchor similar to the anchor saver video. He ties a line to that shackle long enough to reach the deck. He ties it off to the chain at the water surface. When time to leave, he brings the boat over the anchor, pulls the line on deck, then pulls on the line and the anchor blade slides free, he then raises the anchor with the windlass. He told me he has been doing this for years and no more fouling on rocks, trees, or whatever else. Made sense to me so I've added the shackle to my anchor.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Noah

Jon-I am having a hard time visualizing that set-up but will think about it. However, on our Manson Supreme anchors if you use the shank slot instead of the hole at the end of the shank, that is supposed to solve the rocky bottom retrieval issue. I have not tried it yet. I would think you could also shackle a trip line into that slot on a float and retrieve/trip  it from that line?
https://www.mansonanchors.com/products/manson-anchors-next-generation/manson-supreme/
Standard Rig

andre

Do you have some photos about your system. My English is not very well and I don't understand your system with the shackle. I have a rocna 20 kg

Jon W

Photo of my anchor with the shackle. (The tie wrap has been replaced with proper seizing wire). Per my neighbor, fasten a line to the shackle with a length equal to the water depth plus several feet. Tie it off at the surface. When time to leave, untie the line and pull the anchor free by hand. He said in his experience because your effectively backing the anchor out of the bottom it pulls easily. He is at least mid sixties maybe a little older. I bought a small used fender to tie the line to, but may tie it to the chain instead. Less to go wrong and a way to bring it on board without reaching.

After buying the anchor I read using the slot in the anchor shank to avoid fouling can cause the anchor to release if there is a tide shift. No idea if it's true or not.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

Noah

Jon, For the Manson supreme you could have just attached your "trip line" to the sliding slot in the shank intead of drilling a hole, while keeping the chain shackle in the "usual end hole"?
Standard Rig

Jon W

I could have used the slot but chose to drill a hole closer to the end.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Jon W on September 20, 2018, 09:25:08 AM>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

After buying the anchor I read using the slot in the anchor shank to avoid fouling can cause the anchor to release if there is a tide shift. No idea if it's true or not.

It is true.

In my reading on www.cruisersforum.com, it was the consensus of the very experienced skippers there that having any second line in the water other than your anchor rode will, not may, will, complicate evacuation of your anchorage just when you need to leave in haste.  Not a good thing.

The only application of Andre's OP would be if he was constantly, repeatedly and "usually" losing his anchorS in his normal sailing/anchoring grounds.  If so, suggesting he move may not be an option.  We don't know if he has other options, like a close-by but better anchoring spot.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

andre

Thank you guys for all of your answer I will think of that this winter if I install something or not.

Mick Laver

Stu - Could you post a link to the CF thread you're referring to? My search criteria just aren't bringing it up. It would be interesting reading.

I'm sure there are instances where the judicious use of an anchor trip line with a float is warranted, such as a known rocky bottom or an area where you had fouled before.
Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Mick Laver on September 25, 2018, 08:50:14 AM
Stu - Could you post a link to the CF thread you're referring to? >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Mick,

Took me little less than an hour to find, I used "trip+line" --- try this one:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f118/using-an-anchor-marker-179539.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."