Overboard discharge locking and security seal

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Henderson

Apparently someone in our marina has been discharging and not using the pumpout!  :x Obviously a huge problem.  While the marina is trying to isolate and locate the offending boat they are requiring anyone with a marine head to affix a security seal to the valve while in the closed position similar to the one posted in the picture.  My question to the group is if anyone has attached a similar seal to your valve and what methods to use.  Unfortunately, my valve does not have a small hole in it to run the security seal through and around the base of the vale.  Has anyone ever drilled a small hole in the eh valve handle to accommodate a padlock or others securing mechanism? 
I have always kept it wrapped with wire so I could not accidental discharge, but for this compliance, I need to attach a security seal. 
Any ideas?  even after market solutions like a locking Collar or other method?

On another note;  WHO IN THE HELL DISCHARGES IN A MARINA!!!!  :x :shock: :abd:   
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Kevin Henderson

OK... Doing my homework on this and I have found a rotating gate valve lockout cover.  It looks like it would be the perfect solution.  Thoughts or recommendations on size? 

https://www.toolup.com/search?query=rotating%20gate%20valve%20lockout
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Stu Jackson

Kevin, why spend any of your $$ on that.   Drill a hole in the handle.  Cost = 0. 
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Dave Spencer

Kevin,
This is well outside my personal experience since I sail in the Great Lakes and don't even have an overboard discharge through-hull.  But, I always thought the seal or locking mechanism would go on the y valve instead of the discharge seacock.  Perhaps you have a different setup and that is not possible on your boat.
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

KWKloeber

Is the loop on the seal long enuf to reach thru a hole in the end of the handle and wrap around the thru hull below the valve?  Maybe the pic is deceiving.

Is the marina going to inspect the install of every seal? There isn't a prob drilling a small hole near the end of the handle, but anything can be circumvented so the seal is stupid. A Philips screwdriver removes the "sealed" handle and use another one to operate the valve. The Canadian coasties required the same thing many years ago and that was all for show also because it could be circumvented.  If they are inspecting the installs, IIWMB I'd have them look at mine and put the weight on them to tell me what method(s) they would accept.

Think about what they're doing — alerting everyone (especially the offender) that they are onto someone discharging — so now removed any hope of catch them in the act.   And meanwhile making the non offenders continue to non offend? Yep makes common sense, but marina operators aren't always known for that.

I agree that typically the seal would be on a wye valve.

How about physically removing the hose and capping off the overboard discharge? Why have it anyway?

-k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ken Juul

I get the USCG Aux to do a safety inspection on my boat every year.  Overboard discharge is one of the inspected items.  I drilled a small hole in the end of the handle, use a zip tie around the hose and a second from the first through the handle to hold it closed.  15+ inspectors have all said that was sufficient.  Everyone knows there are ways around, along as you show intent to obey the law they accept what ever method you choose.  This is on the Chesapeake, other locations may be more strict.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

scgunner

In Avalon harbor on Catalina Island the harbor patrol puts dye tablets in your holding tank after you enter the harbor to prevent holding tank discharges while in the harbor. If you should discharge while in the harbor you get a very impressive neon green cloud under your boat. Also you get a $500 ticket and you're banned from the harbor for one year.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

DaveBMusik

Quote from: Ken Juul on September 10, 2018, 06:38:02 AM
I get the USCG Aux to do a safety inspection on my boat every year.  Overboard discharge is one of the inspected items.  I drilled a small hole in the end of the handle, use a zip tie around the hose and a second from the first through the handle to hold it closed.  15+ inspectors have all said that was sufficient.  Everyone knows there are ways around, along as you show intent to obey the law they accept what ever method you choose.  This is on the Chesapeake, other locations may be more strict.

I also passed my safety inspection with my Y valve zip tied.
Dave Burgess
Water Music
1986 C34 Hull #206, Fin Keel
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

Kevin Henderson

Thanks for all the insights.  The previous owner of my boat had modified the hoses in the head and had changed from a manual to electric head.  There is no Y valve in my configuration.  All waste from the head goes directly into the holding tank. 
I'm really leaning towards Stu's idea of drilling a hole and installing the security seal.  Although I am somewhat intrigued by the  $11 bright red gate valve lock and cover just for the "in your face" compliance factor if they ever decide to look. 
Sorry.. that's my passive aggressive side coming out.   :abd:
~Henry David Thoreau

KWKloeber

So is there a macerator in line with the pump out hose that can discharge to that thru Hull?
Why the thru Hull anyway, why not just remove any physical connection if waste can't get to it?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Guys : As Kevin said, they have also been known to put one dye tablet in the head itself!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Kevin Henderson

Yes, there is a macerator between the holding tank and discharge valve.  In San Diego, it's relatively easy to sail off the coast and get outside the 3 mile zone.  Also as noted, if one takes the sail up the coast to Catalina Island, they require that a green dye pack is placed inside the holding tank. 
When I talked to our dockmaster at the marina, they had considered dye paks but for nearly 200 boats, it was cost prohibitive.   :abd:
~Henry David Thoreau