VHF Antenna

Previous topic - Next topic

rappareems

Had my radio expert neighbot do an attenna check on my non-functioning VHF.  Bad between the "bilge" joiner and the VHF.  Any info on routing from radio to bilge.  1986 vintage I am assuming it is original.
Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Lake Ontario

Ted Pounds

Mark,

I would first try cutting off the old connector in the bilge and replacing it.  10:1 that fixes the problem.  If that doesn't work then run new cable and connectors from the radio to the bilge.  One more thought - are you sure the connector on the mast cable is OK?  Good luck.

Ted
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Stu Jackson

Mark

The route depends on where your radio is located.  Ours is built in on the nav station vertical panel.  The wires lead to behind the electrical panel.  The coax antenna wire goes to the right of the electrical panel (i.e., forward) and then down to just aft of the head holding tank.  If you take the two little teak panels off at the aft end of the storage compartment behind the black plastic sliding doors, you can trace it through there.  It then just snakes through the bilge to the waterproof connection box at the base of the mast.

Ours is a keel stepped mast.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."