Fuel Hose Pipe Dope

Previous topic - Next topic

britinusa

Replacing the 1 1/2" Fuel Fill hose (from deck fill plate to fuel tank)

The tank has some kind of dried up brown guck on the Fuel Fill pipe and I'm wondering if that's standard, and if so, which type of dope/sealer/guck I should use.

TIA.

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Dave Spencer

Paul,
Sounds like just guck to me. I don't think there should be any sealant at the fill hose to tank nipple. At Reply 11, 3rd picture, you can see my tank that I pulled a few years ago. No sign of any sealant.
http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,9355.msg69460.html#msg69460
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

KWKloeber

"No", and "None." 

Is is fuel "varnish"? Or possibly deteriorated hose lining?

k

Quote from: britinusa on April 10, 2017, 09:38:22 AM
Replacing the 1 1/2" Fuel Fill hose (from deck fill plate to fuel tank)

The tank has some kind of dried up brown guck on the Fuel Fill pipe and I'm wondering if that's standard, and if so, which type of dope/sealer/guck I should use.

TIA.

Paul
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

britinusa

Thanks Guys.
Went down to the boat this afternoon to remove the old deck fill and fuel fill hose.

Getting down into the aft locker in order to get to the hose clamps at the top just below the deck nearly impossible - but got it.
(I could have removed the engine control panel housing box but I did such a nice job of caulking that in place it's a shame to spoil it)

My new Stainless Steel Deck Fill outside diameter is smaller than the original and the holes do not line up, so I'm either going to have to make a Flange to fit between the old holes and the new deck fill or use the old deck fill. It did not fall apart as I feared.

Paul

Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

Stu Jackson

Quote from: britinusa on April 10, 2017, 01:37:27 PM

Went down to the boat this afternoon to remove the old deck fill and fuel fill hose.

Getting down into the aft locker in order to get to the hose clamps at the top just below the deck nearly impossible - but got it.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The "trick" as discussed by Commodore Rick Allen is to disconnect the hose from the top of the tank and then push it  up to get the old deck fitting off, and back on (in reverse).
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jon W

Paul I'm curious what is blocking access to the hose clamps on the underside of the fuel fill? On my boat it's wide open under there.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

britinusa

Jon,
Wide is a relative term. I'm 6' and 165lbs and there's not a lot of room in the aft locker to get down into the area by the fuel fill hose.

Stu, the hole in the deck for the fuel fill plate is smaller than the clamps, otherwise that would have been a total breeze.

Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

Ron Hill

Paul : I believe that others (including myself) went thru the back of the engine instrument panel cutout (panel removed) to get at that hose clamp on the deck fill to the fuel hose.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

britinusa

Quote from: britinusa on April 10, 2017, 01:37:27 PM
(I could have removed the engine control panel housing box but I did such a nice job of caulking that in place it's a shame to spoil it)

I could have done that.

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

Noah

I feel your pain there Paul. No fun caulking/uncaulking/caulking the engine instrument panel (multiple times). Been there done that. That is why many have recomended using a "rubber" gasket in place of caulk for that purpose.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ted Pounds

How about butyl tape??  (To seal the instrument panel)
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ron Hill

Paul : You don't need any pipe dope or sealant.  The hose fits on the outside of the deck fitting so all you need is a hose clamp to hold the hose on to the deck fitting.

A thought   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788