Best source for Butyl Tape

Previous topic - Next topic

billhatter

OK gentlemen . I've read your discussion regarding the merits of Butyl Tape vs other sealants. I've looked on line and learned there are various widths & thicknesses . I'm ready to re-bed my chain plates. Someone tell me the width/ thickness I should use AND the best place to purchase it.

Bill Hatter
Proud Mary
Hull#459
Bill Hatter
Proud Mary
Hull #459

Kevin Henderson

Hi Bill, 

As a satisfied customer... I would be happy to shamelessly plug Mainsail's site and source at Compass Marine. :abd:

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/boat_projects

While you're there.. don't forget to check out all of his excellently written articles on various "How To" projects... expecially rebedding hardware with Grey Butyl

The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

mainesail

-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

Gary

Ditto x 4 .......Mainesail and Kevin have it right...... both in tutorials and supplying butyl rubber tape! We just did our chain plates and one leaking stanchion using the butyl that Rod offers on his web site. Perfect results...no leaks after many years of trying other sealants.

Butyl rubber is flexible. You can work it with your hands and come away with clean non-sticky fingers. You can cut a small piece, stretch it, fold it in half,  and work it around a small bolt or screw and then watch the superior compression when doing immediate tightening. And then clean up excess with ease. Worked great on handrails too!

A great discovery after many years of other sealants !!

Gary
Gary Ambrose
Kije #215
1986 Fin Keel
Falmouth Foreside, ME

DaveM

Mainesail's butyl is very easy to use.  Sticks and forms well. Much better than others I have seen that people got from RV dealers. Been using for over a year.

Goodwinds
DaveM
Dave Mauney, O'Day 35, 1989, "DAMWEGAS" , Oriental, NC , M25XP

RV61

Sailrite also carries it. I have been using to bed canvas hardware to boat and plan to use on a leaky chain plate.
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

billhatter

Thanks gentlemen.  My tape arrived today.  Now lets see, which project do I tackle first?

Bill Hatter
Proud Mary
Hull #459
Bill Hatter
Proud Mary
Hull #459