Stay Cool Pumps impeller repair kit Okay?

Previous topic - Next topic

KWKloeber

Dave

If you have 5/8" hose on the outlet of the strainer  and it doesn't fit the pump there's two possible causes.

1) She has the wrong size hose barb on the inlet. Perhaps for 1/2" hose.

2) The hose end is blown out and needs to be trimmed back to a "good" end.

I realize it's an older pic, but the clamp on the inlet appears to be too far back on the hose so it's off of, not clamping on the hose barb.  If it's 5/8" hose and all in good condition but loose then install the proper elbow. Notice on the pic that the inlet elbow doesn't match the outlet elbow — and the size seriously necks down compared to the outlet one.    So it at least appears that the PO could have made a change there.  Did the "mechanic" comment on that?

FWIW, the OEM hose barb elbows are a terrible choice - brass not bronze, and too short to double clamp.  Everything below waterline gets double-clamped, right!!??!!
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Porchhound

Thanks, KW! I noticed there wasn't room for two clamps. We were working at night with just the advantage of cabin and flashlights. The mechanic didn't mention the difference. I'm going to neck it back and see what I get. The outlet hose being 13mm (at least that is the hose size), so probably 1/2" elbow. Where would I source a replacement elbow? Local hardware store is sparse on marine parts, West Marine seems to be going down the toilet, at least locally.
If human intelligence is insufficient, why think something artificial modeled after it would be better?

Porchhound

So trimming the impeller housing inlet hose back gave me a tighter fit but still only room for one clamp. For some reason someone changed the outlet elbow going to the HX to 1/2 inch., or maybe that was an early design on the C34?
If human intelligence is insufficient, why think something artificial modeled after it would be better?

Ron Hill

Porch : I have the original 1/2" barbed fitting on my raw water intake and the original (wire reinforced) 5/8" hose going to the raw water pump. There is enough room for double clamping!!!  You can try to cut that hose back 1/2" and you'll get a better air tight fit!!

A few thoughts   
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

The OEM inlet to the Hx is 5/8".
The OEM hose barb outlet is 5/8".
The OEM hose barb inlet id 5/8".
Seems like your hose set ups may need a good lookin at.

Additionally I see no wrench marks on the original paint on the nuts on the pump which if true indicates that it has never been serviced - the seals changed and shaft and bearing checked.  Hard to tell from one pic but if that's true you're  lucky (not to say that it won't need servicing soon if it never had been.)

Keep a spare pump mounting gasket on hand:  Kubota part no 15296-88130.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Porchhound

This is the hose from the Impeller housing to HX. I have no idea why all this got changed out, but it's an obvious potential restriction at the HX. With 5/8 going into the pump impeller and 1/2 going out to the HX Seems like it would increase the likelihood of debris clogging the HX fitting..

KWKloeber

Quote from: Porchhound on August 16, 2023, 10:18:40 AM

I noticed there wasn't room for two clamps.

Where would I source a replacement elbow?

Dave - Correct, the short length of the barbs cannot be PROPERLY double-clamped.  Sure you can cob job two clamps on there but it isn't correct unless you use the narrow-band type clamps.  Kinda defeats the purpose though and I haven't seen them for 3/4" OD hose.  And the narrow clamps are not available in ABA or AWAB type.

I had two of the OEM elbows in stock -- I'd have to check if I still have them.  Otherwise CD sells elbows -- they are simply 1/2 thread x 5/8 PEX elbows (difficult to source because 5/8" PEX is an oddball.)
https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/catalina-350/engine/engine-cooling/water-pump-adapter-elbow-58quot-x-12quot-npt/?SearchResults=1
or
https://www.amazon.com/LTWFITTING-Degree-Elbow-Brass-Fitting/dp/B00CHHY4YM

I usually supply pump customers 1/2" x 5/8" stainless barbs.  Pic below.  They have long barbs to double-clamp but of course you can't use two long elbows.   So I have them reposition hoses to use a straight barb inlet (better flow) and a 90 to the Hx.
Using straight out is better but most don't -- I hate that the Hx hose is constantly in the way of the oil dipstick, so I run my hose down to the stringer and up to the Hx.  Pic below. IMO it's much better -- personal preference though.

While you are "in there anyway" change to ABA (or AWAB) clamps!
https://www.ultimategarage.com/shop/index.php?cPath=309_31

KWKloeber

Quote from: Porchhound on August 16, 2023, 03:11:20 PM

This is the hose from the Impeller housing to HX. I have no idea why all this got changed out, but it's an obvious potential restriction at the HX. With 5/8 going into the pump impeller and 1/2 going out to the HX Seems like it would increase the likelihood of debris clogging the HX fitting..

Dave. pic of your Hx?
Is the end ballooned out to fit the Hx hose nipple?

KWKloeber

DAVE  ---  OHHHHHHH mystery solved (I think) -- you must still have the 2" Hx!!!!  The inlet is 1/2" as opposed to the 3" Hx that has a 5/8" inlet.

So backpedaling on all this --- IF YOU HAVE the 2", your pump outlet should be a 1/2" barb and the inlet a 5/8" barb.
Looking at the pic once again COULD it be that the elbows were switched?  It looks like the outlet elbow is larger than the inlet elbow.     

Noah

Ken— due to the way the engine is positioned in the C34 and its tight compartment (which is different than on your C30), we cannot use a straight barb off of the coolant pump and require an elbow to lead aft to heat X.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Noah

Thank you for picture!  Yowsa!!

A sawzall would fix that mess  :rolling