Headsets for communications

Previous topic - Next topic

pbyrne

Looking for opinions or options for my wife and I for headsets, to help with anchoring.

I have to anchor by hand, as we don't have a gypsy, and have mixed rode and chain.

We've tried the usual hand signals etc, but I find I need both hands on the rode/chain and be sitting down in the locker.  Both of these things mean she can't see me, and I can't signal in rougher weather as I'm managing the rode/chain.

We've settled getting something to help us go hands free so I can direct her where to drive the boat and keep my hands safely on the rode/chain.

I've looked at the usual 'marriage savers' and they are pretty pricey, and I've looked at VOX enable walkies, wihch seem more reasonable in price.

Any thoughts on what equipment is a good buy? 

I will cavet this, I'm not looking for better technique.  For us we've settled on some kind of comms.  Not that I don't appreciate all the usual wisdow on here as I do!
2000 Catalina 34 MK II #1534

KWKloeber

For that distance any FRS talkie will be fine.  Stick with a known brand name.  Look at hunting stores vs a marine store! 

I prefer earbuds vs a headset and suggest that you buy where you/she can try/return to find what works best, lest it become simply an annoyance (and another marriage penalty.)

Some models (I believe Midland FRSs is one) you can buy a plug-in Bluetooth dongle that will pair to your favorite phone Bluetooth. 
Another consideration is wind noise -- so again try/return -- because a boom mic w/ a foam windscreen may work better than a mic hanging on a wire from an earbud or clipped to a jacket lapel.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Noah

Single-handing solves the problem. ; )
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

pby : There is NO substitute for arm and hand signals!!!! 

That includes Voice Activated Walkie Talkies!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

pbyrne

Quote from: Ron Hill on April 16, 2024, 04:47:23 PMpby : There is NO substitute for arm and hand signals!!!! 

That includes Voice Activated Walkie Talkies!!

A few thoughts

True but I would need 3 arms. I figure the radio is better than experimental surgery.

waughoo

I've used these on a friend of mine's 42' trawler.  They really are helpful.  I would make sure you find ones that are "full duplex".  The money is worth it as it allows you to speak at a relaxed volume which keeps the conversation calm.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Gulfsailor

Many years ago when my wife and I started sailing, we purchased a pair of wireless headsets at a boat show called "Marrige Savers".

We used them a few times then just started using hand signals and repeating what the other says in docking or anchoring situations. Problem solved. We gave the headsets away as a gag.
1998 C34 MK II
(Hull 1378)
New Port Richey, FL

"The difference between a sailboat and a powerboat? On a powerboat you rush to get somewhere. On a sailboat, you're already there."

pbyrne

Quote from: Gulfsailor on April 17, 2024, 12:51:19 AMMany years ago when my wife and I started sailing, we purchased a pair of wireless headsets at a boat show called "Marrige Savers".

We used them a few times then just started using hand signals and repeating what the other says in docking or anchoring situations. Problem solved. We gave the headsets away as a gag.

Makes sense.  But, as I said, I have both hands full, and she can't see me.

We've both been trained on and used hand signals for anchoring....with a boat that was all chain and a gypsy so you can stand up, use one hand to signal and use your foot, or hand remote to control the windlass.

In windy conditions, you need the boat to help retrieve, which means hand signals, which means standing up, in swell with no way to hang on, hands are full with rode/chain, then let go with one hand to signal, and try to hold on to the full weight of anchor/chain/rode, plus a sh!t ton of weeds in many cases.

Been there, done that, have the brusies to show for it!  :D

Calm conidtions I can manage by pulling the boat myself which eliminates the need for communications with the helm, so no problem.

britinusa

Ok, we have EarTec headsets 'Marriage Savers'

We tried hand signals. I would tap my head to indicate we need to shift to neutral. So picture this. I'm on the bow, holding the anchor chain in place and barely holding it against the movement of the boat under idle power forward. I tap my head with one hand, holding the chain with the other - nothing - I would have to turn around to look at the cockpit to see if the Admiral had seen my signal - I do have a slender body, but can you twist your body while holding on to the chain will all your might single handed? So I tap my head again - nothing - Now I'm beating my damned head and now it's time to shout 'NEUTRAL' OK is the reply and pressure on the chain eases. I lock off the chain and signal for go astern in order to drag the anchor out of the mud. Tap my head - nothing - the boat is now dragging the anchor and the strain on the chain is too much for me to unlock the chain from the cleat = Tap my head again. Now I'm thinking, perhaps I need a hard hat!

I go online and order the Eartecs - No more shouting and no need for a hard hat. Oh, I have replaced the ear muffs several times and on my 3 set of batteries.  We always have two fully charged batteries at the ready.  :D  :D
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

KeelsonGraham

Over on the cruisers forum, a lot of people swear by Senna headsets. Good quality and sound and leaves both hands free.
2006 Catalina 34 Mk II. Hull No:1752. Engine: M35 BC.

Ron Hill

Guys : Our hand signals (doing for over 30+ years) do NOT include any tapping or banging of the head!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788