Traveler question.....

Previous topic - Next topic

gwp

1988 tall rig / hull#568
My traveler is shot. It is serviceable but the car is "sticking" while under a load. I can pull traveler line and move it but it hangs up and not smooth as it should be i assume indicating the rollers are worn. I have checked Catalina Direct and they only seem to have the tricked out 5:1 purchase upgrade but all I want is is the replacement of existing system. Thinking about garhauer marine. Anyone having ideas appreciated. Thanks

DaveBMusik

It may be that the bearings just need to be cleaned or replaced.
Dave Burgess
Water Music
1986 C34 Hull #206, Fin Keel
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

Ed Shankle

Check out Garhauer. If your traveler track is originally a Garhauer, you can just replace the travel car. I've done that, as have others. Easy fix and works great. Should be able to find some discussion on this in Search.
Regards,
Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

SPembleton

Have you tried a little grease on the track? Mine was getting hard, and i just used a little grease and all is well.
Steve Pembleton
Holland, MI
1986 Mk1 Fin, Tall

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails."

britinusa

If your traveler was original like ours, the bearings are probably not anymore (ie. not bearings, but ground up bits and pieces)

We did the garhauer upgrade and love it.

http://www.sailingeximius.com/2016/05/new-traveller-done.html

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

sailaway

Also did the garhaurer upgrade loved it bolt holes line up. Easy up grade  can move the main under load. Charlie

Ron Hill

gwp ; The replacement parts sold by Catalina Direct for your traveler are most likely made by Garhauer!!!!!!

A $$$$ thought!!
Ron, Apache #788

Jeff Kaplan

Several years ago, I replaced the original traveler with a Garhauer 6:1 system, with lines leading back to the cockpit.  I sent the old traveler bar to Guido so the bolt holes were drilled in the right positions. It was one of the best upgrades I have done. I can't remember the exact cost, but it was not that much. The 6:1 ratio makes adjusting the traveler a breeze, no pun intended. Call Guido for cost, the upgrade is well worth it.
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

KWKloeber

Quote from: gwp on May 20, 2017, 06:38:11 PM
1988 tall rig / hull#568
My traveler is shot. It is serviceable but the car is "sticking" while under a load. I can pull traveler line and move it but it hangs up and not smooth as it should be i assume indicating the rollers are worn. I have checked Catalina Direct and they only seem to have the tricked out 5:1 purchase upgrade but all I want is is the replacement of existing system. Thinking about garhauer marine. Anyone having ideas appreciated. Thanks

geo

Pics????
Do you have the old Nicto traveler?
Rebuilt cars are available for Nicro

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

gwp

Well....let's see if the pic shows up. Do I have the Nicro traveller? I like the idea of rebuilding what I have, but at last resort I would bite bullet and go with the Garhauer newer system. Thanks for the input

KWKloeber

gwp

Nicro made several different set ups.  T track, X track, different weights.  I'm not familiar with the car matched to them all.  More pics would have been helpful to identify the whole unit.  I would contact rig-rite (rigrite.com) -- they will want the track type and the measurements of the track and car, along with more pics.  Don't bother calling them without complete info, they sometimes have a short fuse. 

I would first remove the car and troubleshoot what's going on.  If it's simply stuck sheaves/rollers, they might be able to be freed up.  Or be able to be replaced with a fabricated set.  Contact Ed bouchard at (360) 385-2720; edlouchard@gmail.com -- maybe ne can fabricate them.

good luck, let us know.

ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Stu Jackson

gwp, with your hull #588, it is "most likely" that you have a Garhauer track.  IIRC, only the very first C34s had Nicro equipment.

Here are photos of my Garhauer track from when I re-bedded it a few moths ago.  It also shows the long 9" bolts we added years ago.

Guido at Garhauer set me up with new sheaves on the main car and the 6:1 system by adding sheaves to my existing end cars which I sent to them.

Your main car looks like a Garhauer car.

As Ken said, a few more pictures of yours showing the profile like these of mine would be helpful.

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

gwp

Conclusion....sort of. Applied some winch grease and it helped quite a bit. Though I don't regard this as a fix.....it will get me by till I can budget for the upgrade. Thx for the several post all of which were helpful

Roc

Not sure if winch grease is for this application, as the grease would collect dirt.  Something like this is more appropriate.  These products from Harken are made for bearings.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/harken--onedrop-ball-bearing-conditioner--10186591
https://theriggingco.com/2014/03/28/lubricants-for-sailboats-2/
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/mclube--sailkote-dry-lubricant--P000318230

Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

KWKloeber

Quote from: gwp on May 28, 2017, 09:15:16 PM
Conclusion....sort of. Applied some winch grease and it helped quite a bit. Though I don't regard this as a fix.....it will get me by till I can budget for the upgrade. Thx for the several post all of which were helpful

Did you get the car off, evaluate the wheels?
Or just greased the track so that it's disguising the problem?

Do you have any pictures of the underneath of the car?