Running Rigging For MK II

Previous topic - Next topic

Rortega46

I'm planning on replacing running rigging and have a few questions.  My owner's manual and other specs I've found have limited info. 

Does anyone have specs for the furling main inhaul and outhaul, as well as boom vang? 

A prior post for mk 1.5 running rigging suggested increasing the genoa sheet from 7/16" to 1/2" to make the winch tailer hold better.  Does this add friction and make pulling out the genoa and sheeting more difficult?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Randy Ortega
2001 MKII Hull # 1532 M35BC
S/V Yat
New Orleans, LA

Jim Hardesty

My manual is on the boat.  I'll get it in the next day or two. Think that information is there.  I've never had a problem with the self-tailer not holding, just need enough raps on the drum.  Think the only thing that would be noticeable between the 7/16 and 1/2 would be the hand feel and very light air trim.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Rortega46

Jim

Thanks for the reply.   The reason I ask about the furling main rigging (inhaul and outhaul) is they are some of the worst running rigging lines I have. There seems to be excessive chafe somewhere in the main furling system. I figure to change the vang line while I am at it. Looking forward to your next reply with specs. Also, do you 7/16 or 1/2 for genoa sheets?

Thanks in advance
Randy Ortega
S/V Yat
New Orleans, LA

Jim Hardesty

Attached is a picture of my rigging information from my Owner's Manual.  It's not a complete as I thought.  Shouldn't be too hard to measure with a tape.  My main furling line and outhaul are in very good shape.  You may want to check your leads for chafe points.
FWIW  To replace halyards and running rigging I was shown to sew the butt ends of the old and new lines together.  Then tape with one layer of electrical tape.  It's always worked for me.
Hope this helps,
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Randy : The comments on increasing the diameter size for the Genoa sheet lines were for the MK1 boats with the older #46 Lewmar winches.  This model has a fixed self tailer!!!   

If you have the newer Lewmar #46 "Oceans" winches with the spring loaded self tailer (that "clamps" the line) then 7/16" sheet lines are more than enough!! 

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Rortega46

Jim

The specs you posted are the same as my owners manual.  It does not include inhaul, outhaul, vang or topping lift.  I'll measure with a tape as you suggested.
Randy Ortega
S/V Yat
New Orleans, LA

Rortega46

Ron

Thanks for clarifying.  I'll go w/ 7/16 sheets.
Randy Ortega
S/V Yat
New Orleans, LA